I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Issue with 07 LX Low Beams

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flipper is an unknown quantity at this point
Issue with 07 LX Low Beams

Howdy!

I just purchased a salvaged 07 LX with 9500 miles. The car was repaired very well from what I can tell. However, one little glitch that I've noticed so far is that the Low beams will not come on.

I pulled one of the bulbs out and the filament looks good. I put a meter to all headlight fuses to check continuity and all fuses check out ok.

My high beams work, DRL work, parking lights work, interior gauge lights dim when in low beam and high beam positions. The only thing I can come to the conclusion with is that there is a short or an open somewhere. I don't have any wiring diagrams for this car and was hoping that maybe someone would have an idea or a diagram to help me hunt this lil bug down.

Greatly Appreciated!
Old 05-24-2007
Registered!!

snobird is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Issue with 07 LX Low Beams

trace the wires back from the headlight im not at work so i cant get a digram but ill sneak one out tonight for ya
Old 05-25-2007
Registered!!

I plan to do this tomorrow, a diagram would be extremely appreciated! Thank you!
Old 05-25-2007
wut y0u kn0w ab0ut them teXas b0ys...

MidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of light

Have you checked on any recalls on that certain model...i remember having the same issue with my civic but its an 01. goodluck
Old 05-25-2007
Registered!!

Well I've run a few tests, but I still can't trace the wires back as far as I'd like. Voltage to L and R fuses in the cab when switch is on is 0.00VDC. Indicating no power to the fuses. However, I also hooked my meter up directly to the connector that the bulb plugs into and tested resistence here. With the low beams off it reads .5 Ohms, when I switch it on it reads .2 Ohms. I'm at a loss here, with the switch being off and resistence getting through that indicates a short somewhere. This engine bay is pretty hard to work around in, so before I start tearing into it I need to locate a schematic, hopefully snobird can get one.

If anyone else has any ideas, Id appreciate the help =)
Old 05-25-2007
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

I found this for the 06, Sorry it is not OEM.

Hope it helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
06 LX Coupe headlights ARRC.pdf (40.4 KB, 132 views)
Old 05-25-2007
Registered!!

I imagine it's fairly close if not the same, Gonna try to block diagram this thing...a friend of mine thinks it's the switch itself, but I wouldn't see why that would be the case if the head lights indicator is coming on when I turn the switch on. *shrug*

Electrical problems am are fun :-D LOL.
Old 05-26-2007

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

The 06 & 07 should be similar.

In this circuit the common lead of bulbs is grounded and the filaments receive switched voltage. ( totally different then previous years ) But then there is also the DRL thrown into the mix.

I would also start with the long list of fuses shown.
Old 05-26-2007
Registered!!

All fuses shows continuity. However, I get no voltage on the L or R Low beam fuses. Someone was telling me sometimes in the ignition switches there is a mechanical switch that is designed to break should the ignition be broken during theft to make low beams impossible to use, so the thief has to drive around with high beams.

The car had a salvage title when I bought it (now restored salvage) and Arizona uses salvage title for stolen vehicles, so I wonder if this is also a possibility. The ignition seems to be alright so I'm not sure, just curious if anyone knows if the civic has this device?
Old 05-27-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

take it back to who you bought it from and tell them to fix it.
Old 05-27-2007
Registered!!

If I bought it from a dealer, that would be feasible. But I bought it from a private seller that doesn't speak fluent English...That makes things difficult. It's my fault for not checking the lights anyhow.
Old 05-27-2007
Administrator
Administrator

electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

ahh, that makes sense. yeah, that's a bummer. did you check the relays? don't know about the mechanism you're talking about. someone else might know.
Old 05-27-2007
Registered!!

Im assuming you're using relay interchangeably with fuse? I wasn't able to locate a relay specifically. The fuse under the hood that is shared with the power windows is good. If there's another relay somewhere I haven't located it.

However, I just noticed the fuse has a 50 A and a 40A side...is there a special way to test the fuse? It doesnt look broken, but I want to make sure I hook my meter up to it correctly.

Of course if this one was blown, the high beams wouldn't work either right?

Last edited by flipper; 05-27-2007 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-27-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by flipper
Im assuming you're using relay interchangeably with fuse? I wasn't able to locate a relay specifically. The fuse under the hood that is shared with the power windows is good. If there's another relay somewhere I haven't located it.

However, I just noticed the fuse has a 50 A and a 40A side...is there a special way to test the fuse? It doesnt look broken, but I want to make sure I hook my meter up to it correctly.

Of course if this one was blown, the high beams wouldn't work either right?
no i'm not. it may be different on the 8th gens, but the 7th gens have a fuse for power that goes to the contacts of a relay. when you turn the switch inside the car one, the relay coil energizes and the contacts close. so power goes through the relay, not the switch in the car.

the ONLY way to properly check a fuse is to remove it and ohm through it. if you try to ohm through it while it's in the car (through the small openings on top of the fuse) you could be backfeeding through other components and getting a false good reading. for all continuity checks, you have to isolate at least one side of the circuit.
Old 05-27-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by electric130
no i'm not. it may be different on the 8th gens, but the 7th gens have a fuse for power that goes to the contacts of a relay. when you turn the switch inside the car one, the relay coil energizes and the contacts close. so power goes through the relay, not the switch in the car.

the ONLY way to properly check a fuse is to remove it and ohm through it. if you try to ohm through it while it's in the car (through the small openings on top of the fuse) you could be backfeeding through other components and getting a false good reading. for all continuity checks, you have to isolate at least one side of the circuit.
Ok, Its possible it may be a relay then. I do not see anything in the owner's manual about relay's where should I look for this?
Old 05-27-2007

The schematic shows a relay but appears to be part of the MICU. It may or may not be separate component. It appears to also be contained in the under dash fuse box. (multiplex unit in 7th gens)
Old 05-27-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by flipper
Ok, Its possible it may be a relay then. I do not see anything in the owner's manual about relay's where should I look for this?
that pdf diagram posted on the first page for the 06 clearly shows a low beam relay right after the fuse. it does look to be part of the MICU. if you have power leaving the low beam fuse, then the MICU might have to be replaced. if there's no power before the fuse, you've got an power source problem.
Old 05-27-2007
Registered!!

Yeah I saw the relay in the diagram, but I was assuming ( yeah I know what that does) that it was the main head light fuse rather than a relay