I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

2014 Civic Coupe LX - A pillar - wires came unplugged, what was it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sdburke9167 is an unknown quantity at this point
2014 Civic Coupe LX - A pillar - wires came unplugged, what was it?

My tweeter fell into my A pillar, so I removed it, following youtube and in the process, some long, thick black wire, "glued" to a white pad in the driver side A frame with 2 connectors at the end of it came out of a very very small and thin hole, the tweeter itself popped back in easy enough, but i have had no luck seeing or getting those connectors back in where they go. Tweeter sounds fine now, as far as my non audio sensitive ears can tell anyway. There's an airbag in the A frame was it something to do with that? the big cable runs up through the a frame into the roof, I can't trace it any further without literally taking my ceiling out, if that's even possible. What do you think came unplugged, is it important and how would I go about plugging it back in?
Old 09-14-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: 2014 Civic Coupe LX - A pillar - wires came unplugged, what was it?

The big cable is probably the antenna for the radio. Be careful poking around in there with the airbag, disconnect the battery if you're going to be in there. Maybe post a picture of what you're talking about so we can see
Old 09-14-2018
Registered!!

https://imgur.com/a/N44Qd1z

I've included a small gallery of pictures and descriptions to help with identifying what, and where was unplugged. any help is appreciated thank you.
Old 09-14-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

well that's not factory, someone has been monkeying around in there
Old 09-14-2018
Registered!!

the radio was aftermarket when i bought it, think it's something to do with that? maybe some rewiring or upgrades maybe? I don't know anything about audio systems beyond operating and plugging A into B, running audio wires is foreign to me. Do you think it was just audio wiring? near as I can tell no audio was affected by it
Old 09-15-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

About all I can think of that would be in the roof of an LX coupe is the 2 sets of lights and a microphone.

Push back the corrugated cover and tell us what the original wire colors are

Need better pic of how those wires are branched and/or spliced at the main harness on the A pillar.

Some suspects:
those wires were used for a different speaker
those wires may be tied into the dome lights and were used as a trigger for an aftermarket alarm, or an aftermarket alarm or remote start (or something) was wired to control the dome light

Look around UNDER the dash to find if anything is left that those wires were connected to? Any other evidence of DIY wiring (hacks) that indicate something aftermarket was once installed, and is now removed?
Old 09-16-2018
Registered!!

I was afraid to pull back my roof cover as I am worried it will tear, and not stretch. Looking around under steering wheel it looks clean. Whoever did wire what they did with the radio made it look professional, maybe it was. I can't see anything obvious about wiring or even panel removal evidence, but i know for a fact that the radio is aftermarket so someone at some point has been in there, maybe they left factory wires in, and ran their own, without removing the original? I just don't know what it could have been at this point.
Old 09-16-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sdburke9167
I was afraid to pull back my roof cover as I am worried it will tear, and not stretch. Looking around under steering wheel it looks clean. Whoever did wire what they did with the radio made it look professional, maybe it was. I can't see anything obvious about wiring or even panel removal evidence, but i know for a fact that the radio is aftermarket so someone at some point has been in there, maybe they left factory wires in, and ran their own, without removing the original? I just don't know what it could have been at this point.
Someone spliced those wires into the factory harness on the pillar, right? (still waiting for better pics and harness wire colors)
Do all roof lights work correctly?
Does handsfree microphone work?

You could put a voltmeter on each wire (independently) and see if each is related to dome light operation.
Old 09-16-2018
Registered!!

Sun's getting real low, I'll get some pictures of the harness and wiring tomorrow. The roof light flashes when doors open but it's done that since I bought it in 2015. Hands free microphone works as well, though I'm not sure if it is factory or after market, I will include a picture of that as well.
Old 09-18-2018
Registered!!

So, as it turns out, my dome light is not working anymore. Mystery solved, now just need to find video/instructions on how to plug it back and where it is supposed to go.
Old 09-19-2018

look to where the original wires were cut, the other halves of those two wires should still be right there where they originally laid.
Old 10-03-2018
Registered!!

I fixed the problem by getting a 2016 civic EX