I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Wireless camera to wired possible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
emaxxx4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wireless camera to wired possible?

Hello again. i have a slightly older backup camera from a few years ago. This was a cheap unit I purchased off of eBay and is designed to be wireless so that you can attach it to your backup lights, then use your camera's screen as a monitor. The instructions are not that great because it forces you to use a QR code to get the app instead of it being easily available on the Google Play store. I also purchased an SWM 8802 Android head unit off of eBay with multiple video inputs.

The way it works is that you have the camera itself and bundled wires going to a proprietary connector. That connects to a box (Which I'm assuming is the transmitter) which then has three wires coming out of that: black, red, and yellow. I have an assortment of RCA male and female jacks that has both + and - inputs.If I attach the red and black to the terminal strip, would the yellow go to the + or - to attempt to get video? I'm overly cautious about hooking up the wire to the wrong port and frying it (Although new cams are less than $10), but i'm also thinking because the wire is so small (maybe 26 gauge) that there's little to no chance of damage. Is it better to power and ground it to separate lines in case the Android head draws too much power?
Old 08-29-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wireless camera to wired possible?

Most cameras will have at minimum a power and ground, and video signal out. The voltage requirement of the camera is unknown, so bust out a good voltmeter and start checking while it's on.
BUT
(Although new cams are less than $10)
Just order a $10 camera that you know you can work with
Old 08-29-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
emaxxx4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Wireless camera to wired possible?

Originally Posted by ezone
Most cameras will have at minimum a power and ground, and video signal out. The voltage requirement of the camera is unknown, so bust out a good voltmeter and start checking while it's on.
BUTJust order a $10 camera that you know you can work with
I'll do that, thanks! I'd like to test out the video input and output capabilities of my new touchscreen. I have a separate dashcam unit with a 2.5mm jack for a backup camera that I already have installed, but am having issues trying to get that hooked up to my Android head. It's just one more piece I have to connect and reconnect when I get out of the car. I hooked it in to a 2.5mm to 3.5mm (1/8") adapter that went to a hidden jack, but no video.

For the small camera in question i thought it would be nice to put it beneath the passenger side mirror to check for closeness if I pull into a space next to another car or a guide rail.