I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

9th Gen - Car Battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xlo0olx is an unknown quantity at this point
9th Gen - Car Battery

So, the cold weather is here in VA. Battery is starting to somewhat die. Pulled it and had it tested. Was told that it's near it's end. Car is an 2006 Honda Civic. So it's a 6/7ish year old battery. I don't mind buying a new one. So my question is...

Does Brand matter? Interstate, Autozone or Optima?

Auto is use only as a Daily Driver, so lightweight batteries don't matter?

I read somewhat about batteries, but still confused. What do you really look for in a battery? What do you have in terms of brand?

I did a search for "Battery" but didn't really see information.
Old 12-30-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: 9th Gen - Car Battery

Most batteries are the same except for specialty batteries such as Optima. For a car with no extra electrical loads or harsh riding then a standard battery is fine. Generally the more money you spend the better the battery is made and the longer it will last but Autozone and Pep-Boys batteries are made by the same company (Johnson Controls) around my area. They all come off the same assembly line, they just slap a different sticker on it. The cold cranking amps is what determines the battery that you need along with the size. Honda's have small batteries compared to other cars.
Old 12-30-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

06 is an 8th gen.

The replacement batteries sold through US dealers are made by Johnson Controls, and would be a 500 CCA, "8 year" battery.
Not sure if Canada dealers use the same.

The original battery here was either 310 or 410 CCA.

I've always had good luck with Interstate (Johnson Controls), but when one of my spare cars needs a battery I get a borderline one from the return bin....cuz it don't ususally have to work for long ... all it has to do is start it a few times....
Old 12-30-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
danwat12345 has a spectacular aura aboutdanwat12345 has a spectacular aura about

Get a battery from Costco. Lifetime battery warranty if you change the battery every 2.9 years. Any longer than 3 years and it starts getting pro rated.
Old 02-16-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
chuffsy is an unknown quantity at this point

My Interstate from Costco died after a year. I will be returning it for a refund.