Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

Bad tpms sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ellisjay2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Bad tpms sensor

Hit a pot hole and tpms light came on....not low pressure light... so I knew that was the cause of light to come on...was guessing one one or possibly more had gotten damaged....took my 2012 civic to the shop at the college and used scan tool.....got 38-1 code or 98-1 code....(cant remember) but scanner said it sensor on driver side rear......I want to just replace that one sensor.....this civic has the direct tpms system...( sensors at wheels).....I found a genuine honda sensor on amazon.......
Honda Genuine 42753-TR3-A81 TPMS Sensor Assembly Honda Genuine 42753-TR3-A81 TPMS Sensor Assembly
......programming is my main concern....I read a few comments from buyers who didnt have to reprogram sensors and just let the car relearn ...re calibrate them from the steering wheel /dash commands.......I figured id buy sensor and do it at school myself...has anyone else done so yet..or had trouble programming them ...im just doing one........sensor is around $40 on amazon. Figured it be worth a try......
Old 10-29-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bad tpms sensor

There is nothing in the system that tells you the location of any individual sensor at any time. ALL it knows is 4 unique sensor ID#s. It cannot tell you where any of them are located (because tires are rotated and repositioned many times throughout the life of the tires/sensors).

Get into the data list for TPMS system, you should be able to see the 4 unique sensor ID#s that are registered to the system.
Print or write those 4 IDs, and write which sensor number each unique ID# is (labeled sensor 1-4)

Get your fault code(s) indicating which sensor has failed (#1-4)

Take your hand held sensor activator (ours is ATEQ brand) around to each tire, activate or scan each individual sensor. (If you have this tool, you can probably figure out which sensor does not respond at all, that's the bad one)
Record the unique sensor ID you read for each tire.

Compare that set of sensor IDs to the IDs from your data list so you can associate numbers 1-4 with each unique sensor ID# and wheel position

Now you can hopefully replace the correct failed sensor.

The car cannot learn new unique ID numbers for new replacement sensors as you drive. You have to program new sensors to the car upon installation.
UNLESS you got aftermarket sensors that come blank (no prewritten unique ID#) and you can program or literally clone the ID# from the bad sensor into the new blank sensor. (NOT possible when installing OE sensors)
Old 06-04-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rocketman71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
There is nothing in the system that tells you the location of any individual sensor at any time. ALL it knows is 4 unique sensor ID#s. It cannot tell you where any of them are located (because tires are rotated and repositioned many times throughout the life of the tires/sensors).

Get into the data list for TPMS system, you should be able to see the 4 unique sensor ID#s that are registered to the system.
Print or write those 4 IDs, and write which sensor number each unique ID# is (labeled sensor 1-4)

Get your fault code(s) indicating which sensor has failed (#1-4)

Take your hand held sensor activator (ours is ATEQ brand) around to each tire, activate or scan each individual sensor. (If you have this tool, you can probably figure out which sensor does not respond at all, that's the bad one)
Record the unique sensor ID you read for each tire.

Compare that set of sensor IDs to the IDs from your data list so you can associate numbers 1-4 with each unique sensor ID# and wheel position

Now you can hopefully replace the correct failed sensor.

The car cannot learn new unique ID numbers for new replacement sensors as you drive. You have to program new sensors to the car upon installation.
UNLESS you got aftermarket sensors that come blank (no prewritten unique ID#) and you can program or literally clone the ID# from the bad sensor into the new blank sensor. (NOT possible when installing OE sensors)
Anyway to read sensor #. I have a 2009 DX that has TPMS light on. Person I bought it from admited he got for un rusty rims from junk yard car. So how to you find out sensor # with out un-mounting rims? Tnx
Old 06-05-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rocketman71
Anyway to read sensor #. I have a 2009 DX that has TPMS light on. Person I bought it from admited he got for un rusty rims from junk yard car. So how to you find out sensor # with out un-mounting rims? Tnx
Our shop uses a tool from ATEQ to read sensor data