Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

TPMS reset question

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cockneyboy1963 is an unknown quantity at this point
TPMS reset question

Hi all I have a 8th gen civic Es and had a flat tyre and although I have fixed the tyre I can’t re set the on board computer. Would be grateful if someone could send me a link or have any knowledge off the subject to save me an expensive trip to the dealership. Many thanks .
Old 10-28-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: TPMS reset question

Assuming your car has direct TPMS: the wheels each have a pressure sensor mounted (most of ours have metal stem instead of rubber)
If the letters TPMS are lit, that's the system warning light. Typical cause is one (or more) of the tire pressure sensors stopped reporting.

If you drove on the spare tire long enough that came on, it's because the system didn't have all 4 tire pressure sensors reporting while driving.
If the tire is fixed and sensor in that tire still works, go to your tire shop that fixed the flat and see if they would clear the codes for you.

If a tire was replaced, it's kinda easy to inadvertently break a sensor in the process of dismounting and remounting a tire on the wheel. The tire shop should be able to tell you if one of the sensors is not working.
If they proceed to take the tire off and find the sensor broken apart, we assume the first installer probably caused it.
Old 10-28-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cockneyboy1963 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that . The warning sign starts will the word VSA and then shows the deflation sign also the ABS light comes on but the owners manual said it would . I’ve been in as far as the bit where it should allow you to reset it but the option doesn’t show on the screen to make the readjustment.
Old 10-28-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cockneyboy1963
Thanks for that . The warning sign starts will the word VSA and then shows the deflation sign also the ABS light comes on but the owners manual said it would . I’ve been in as far as the bit where it should allow you to reset it but the option doesn’t show on the screen to make the readjustment.
Sounds like your car is equipped with indirect TPMS? There is no individual pressure sensor in each wheel? Plain simple rubber valve stem for inflating each tire, instead of metal valve stem?
I have no idea what your car has (features, technology, etc) as cars are not always equipped the same worldwide

So...Based on what I know about the cars that have indirect tpms over here:
Indirect tpms uses sensors from VSA/ABS systems (and others) to judge tire profiles ......If VSA/ABS warning lights are on, that means there's a problem with those systems and so tpms is also disabled as a result and its warning light is also illuminated (or message, whatever your car displays) along with all the rest of the warnings.

If you had only a tire warning light on, that's one thing.
You have multiple warning lights on, you probably need to address all of those warning lights instead of just the tpms.

So many systems are interconnected and dependent on other systems. A single fault in one system such as a check engine light can cause many other warning lights and messages to come on as well, as other systems are affected by the first system.
I connect my scanner and extract fault codes for ALL of the systems in the car, then I figure out which code or system is the root cause of all the other system fault codes.