Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

Time for Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018
JTF
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JTF is an unknown quantity at this point
Time for Tires

Looking to replace my original factory tires for my 2014 Honda Civic Sedan. Considering a set of Goodyear Assurance® WeatherReady, are these driveable as a year round tire. Another one that caught my eye was a set of NEW Goodyear Assurance® MaxLife. As far as I can tell there is at least a $40 difference showing online for each tire, the cheaper being the MaxLife. I do short trips to work of 1.5 km one way (I live very close and often walk). On my days off paved roads only in our local city and soem highway. Opinions welcome.

My current OEM tires are Firestone Affinity P195 65R15 89H M+S, rated for 80000 Km's my car is currently at 75000 Km's.

Last edited by JTF; 10-16-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-16-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Time for Tires

My opinion may be wrong but here it goes. Over the decades I purchased tires from many manufacturers and price ranges: base model to top of the line. In my experience it seems that very rarely, even with proper rotation, balance and alignment intervals, that tires will meet the service life mileage posted by the manufacturer. This has lead me to for the past few tire set purchases buying tires online that include free delivery.

I look for Japanese or South Korean brands that are manufactured in either Japan, South Korea or USA. I read reviews of particular models on multiple sites prior to purchase. The last three sets I purchased online via Walmart (free pickup at store)...priced between $40-$50 per tire.

Here's a few that I've used though there are several more not listed:
Nitto
Ohtsu
Falken
Nexxen
Hankook

Old 10-16-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JTF
Looking to replace my original factory tires for my 2014 Honda Civic Sedan. Considering a set of Goodyear Assurance® WeatherReady, are these driveable as a year round tire. Another one that caught my eye was a set of NEW Goodyear Assurance® MaxLife. As far as I can tell there is at least a $40 difference showing online for each tire, the cheaper being the MaxLife. I do short trips to work of 1.5 km one way (I live very close and oftern walk). On my days off paved roads only in our local city and soem highway. Opinions welcome.
how bad is the snow in your area?
i prefer to have a dedicated set of good snow tires on their own set of rims, and then a set off all seasons/summer tires on the own rims as well
Old 10-16-2018

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Colin42
how bad is the snow in your area?
i prefer to have a dedicated set of good snow tires on their own set of rims, and then a set off all seasons/summer tires on the own rims as well
I live in Florida..what are seasons? Our forecast in October is hot and humid with the potential of swamp-nuts. I forgot about the possible need of snow tires for the OP.
Old 10-16-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by HR Puffinblunts
I live in Florida..what are seasons? Our forecast in October is hot and humid with the potential of swamp-nuts. I forgot about the possible need of snow tires for the OP.
Snow question was for the op

i know you're in the land of sunshine, oj, and geriatrics
Old 10-16-2018

Talking Re: Time for Tires

Originally Posted by Colin42
Snow question was for the op

i know you're in the land of sunshine, oj, and geriatrics
Yes, aware was intended for OP...I just didn't factor in the snow tire possibility in my initial reply.

My wife and I intend to move out of Florida within the next six months. Looking at Knoxville TN, Johnson City TN or nearby as a strong potential. I told my wife we could hold on to condo in FL as , though it's five miles inland, it may become beachfront property within the next twenty years courtesy of global warming
Old 10-16-2018
JTF
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JTF is an unknown quantity at this point

I have never owned snow tires and don't plan to. Just looking to get a good all season tire.