Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

"How to" needed for replacing the water pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And.Cope is an unknown quantity at this point
"How to" needed for replacing the water pump

I have a 2009 Civic LX 1.8L FI SOHC 4cyl with a water pump on its way out, and I want to replace before it becomes a major issue or causes any complications.

I'll be under the hood dealing with some unrelated a/c issues, and figured I should knock this out as well but can't find a thorough instructional for my year model. Any links or write-ups are greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Old 04-17-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: "How to" needed for replacing the water pump

You might want to look a lot closer.........Every time someone came in to our shop with a complaint of a water pump leaking (coolant leaking) on one of those R18 engines, it turned out to be a cracked block.

There are plenty of pics of where the block cracks in this forum and online.

There's probably very few tutorials on the pumps because they have been pretty dang reliable IMO.
Old 04-17-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
You might want to look a lot closer.........Every time someone came in to our shop with a complaint of a water pump leaking (coolant leaking) on one of those R18 engines, it turned out to be a cracked block.
There are plenty of pics of where the block cracks in this forum and online.
There's probably very few tutorials on the pumps because they have been pretty dang reliable IMO.
It's not currently leaking, my mechanic told me that he would recommend preventative replacement since the vehicle is at 180k miles. I can't afford the labor, and since the pump itself costs approximately $100, figured I should go ahead and replace myself. Found write-outs on hondacivicrepairs.com journals, but feel a bit lost a few steps in...

Last edited by And.Cope; 04-17-2018 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-17-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If it's not leaking and not actually bad, I wouldn't bother. Just use the correct antifreeze.

Ever since Honda went to their Type-2 coolant as the factory fill more than a decade ago, water pump failures have literally dropped off my radar screen......but incorrect antifreeze can make them leak.

ALSO.....a $100 aftermarket pump won't be as good as a genuine pump from Honda IMO. Cost be damned.
Old 04-17-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
If it's not leaking and not actually bad, I wouldn't bother. Just use the correct antifreeze.
Ever since Honda went to their Type-2 coolant as the factory fill more than a decade ago, water pump failures have literally dropped off my radar screen......but incorrect antifreeze can make them leak.
ALSO.....a $100 aftermarket pump won't be as good as a genuine pump from Honda IMO. Cost be damned.
I'm with you on the aftermarket parts, fortunately I found an oem pump at a salvage yard that came off a 120k mile 2009 model, for $120. Haven't bought it yet, and am having to reconsider based off what you're telling me. Still may heir on the side of caution and 'better safe than sorry'.

What is the best brand/type antifreeze you would recommend? And how frequently would you recommend flushing/replacing?
Old 04-17-2018

Originally Posted by And.Cope
I'm with you on the aftermarket parts, fortunately I found an oem pump at a salvage yard that came off a 120k mile 2009 model, for $120. Haven't bought it yet, and am having to reconsider based off what you're telling me. Still may heir on the side of caution and 'better safe than sorry'.

What is the best brand/type antifreeze you would recommend? And how frequently would you recommend flushing/replacing?
If you shop it right (many dealerships selling online at wholesale prices) you can find a brand new genuine Honda pump for not much more than that

Hondas Type-2 antifreeze.
1st coolant service was scheduled for 10 years or 100k miles, then every 5/50 thereafter.