Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2008 civic R18 spun bearing

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shotzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation 2008 civic R18 spun bearing

hello
I spun a bearing a need some help been looking online but cant find the right code on the block. the engine is still in the car so its not easy to see, but need to find out.
I have the bearing out but what I need is to know were the code for the journal is on the block so can order a new bearing I have the code from the rod its 3, if anyone can let me know or send me a pic that would be sick.
thanks

Last edited by Shotzy; 02-27-2018 at 09:12 AM. Reason: mistake
Old 02-27-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough
Re: 2008 civic R18 spun bearing

i would recommend you call the parts department at your local dealer and have them find the bearing using your vin #
Old 02-27-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Shotzy
I need is to know were the code for the journal is on the block so can order a new bearing I have the code from the rod its 3,
um.. curiously, are you calling the 3 stamped on the rod a code and looking for a crank journal code?

can you post a good picture of the crank journal? i'm interested to see how smooth it is. i've never seen a journal that had a spun bearing be smooth enough to reuse. most fail again, and quickly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	112012  
Old 02-27-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

There's no way the dealer can find out what bearings the engine originally had in it. Someone needs to check all the ID codes on the block, crank, and rods.

Forget dealer bearings for now anyway.

If it spun a bearing, that throw on the crank is wasted. Crank need checked and machined if possible.
If it spun a rod bearing, that connecting rod is also wasted and needs replaced.
If it spun a main bearing, the block journal is wasted but might be fixed with align boring (line bore).

Drop it all off at the machine shop, have them work their magic and get the right bearings that are right for whatever they machined.

Or drop in a good used engine?
Old 02-28-2018
Registered!!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

The crank is now toast, and you now have metal bearing particles through the whole engine. Just changing the bearings that spun isn’t an option. At the very least, you would have to pull the engine, regrind or replace the crank, throughly clean the metal particles out of everything, and reassemble it. Other parts may be damaged from the metal particles as well. I would suggest finding a good used engine to put in. It’s almost always cheaper and easier to replace an engine or transmission that catastrophically failed than to rebuild it. Good luck with your project!
Old 02-28-2018
Registered!!

i used a reman crank from autozone in a civic. i thought it was great as it came with the bearings. the clearances checked out OK with plastigage. one oil galley hole in the crank had hard black debris completely plugging it in it which i cleaned out before use. i reused the rod in the car which was slightly discolored from heat but to the best of my ability was still perfectly straight. it lasted about 2 months with a soft footed female driver before the same bearing spun again. if i could go back in time, i would have thrown a used motor in that car. i'm very meticulous in my work, but i still failed to make a lasting repair.
Old 02-28-2018
Registered!!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by RobertD
i used a reman crank from autozone in a civic. i thought it was great as it came with the bearings. the clearances checked out OK with plastigage. one oil galley hole in the crank had hard black debris completely plugging it in it which i cleaned out before use. i reused the rod in the car which was slightly discolored from heat but to the best of my ability was still perfectly straight. it lasted about 2 months with a soft footed female driver before the same bearing spun again. if i could go back in time, i would have thrown a used motor in that car. i'm very meticulous in my work, but i still failed to make a lasting repair.
From my experience, once an engine fails, it often is never right again. One little spec of a random metal particle and you could have another catastrophic failure. That’s one reason why I almost always suggest installing a known good used engine instead of rebuilding the broken one. Sometimes it seems like you can save money by rebuilding the engine that catastrophically failed instead of replacing it, but it usually doesn’t work out that way. The only time I would possibly suggest rebuilding an engine is if it’s just plain worn out, but with no serious issues. Once an engine runs out of oil, spins bearings, throws a rod, seizes up etc, it’s done.

Last edited by D17VTECPOWER; 02-28-2018 at 10:58 AM.