Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Honda Civic clunk from brakes.. Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CIVIC2014 is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda Civic clunk from brakes.. Please help.

I am new to this forum.. I bought a 2014 honda civix coupe and whenever I press the brake pedal and release it it clunks.. it is not the normal clunk that you wpould get when the pedal hits the rubber stop.. this clunk is coming from behind the firewall before the brake reaches its stop... brakes amd rotors are new and there is no play in them and pads are not shifting.. besides.. the noise does not come from the brakes ..I already check.. it comes from.the brake booster.... I heard some people jad the same problem amd dealership said.. yup.. you giessed it... NORMAL.. well it sounds like ****.. has anyone experienced this on your civic? the npise happens at all times.. moving and not moving.. park.. neutral.. doesnt matter.. thr noise is always there... hete is a video of the clunk https://youtu.be/QsToFJs1Xe0
Old 02-25-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Honda Civic clunk from brakes.. Please help.

Adjust the volume of your radio to make the booster pop noise less noticeable.
It's considered normal. Not necessarily desirable, but normal. Seriously.

I own a 12 Civic. It makes occasional POP noises from the brake booster.
My noise is internal inside the booster.
I had the booster replaced while the car was still under warranty.....the noise returned within a few months.
Booster works as good as it ever did, have not ever witnessed a hint of failure.

Edit: You seem to remove your foot all the way off the pedal when I watch the video....Seems like mine makes the pop noise as you release the pedal quickly but don't release it all the way. I'm used to mine so I kinda ignore it in other cars....I would kinda expect noises if I quickly release it and let it hit whatever travel limiter it might have.

Last edited by ezone; 02-25-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-25-2018
Registered!!

I hear you.. well I think it is coming from the booster.. sometimes it does that horrible sound u hear on the video.. sometimes it is more quiet and acceptable.. the firewall sounds hollow.. hell the whole car sounds hollow compared to my honda accord 2006. which is to me.. even more quiet than my sisters A 4... .. so anyways.. The noise bothers me so much thay I would change the booster with an aftermarket booster if the car were mine.. but I bought it for my girlfriend.. she drives it and she doesnt mind the noise.. but if the car were mine I would not think twice on replacing the booster with a brand other than honda...
Old 02-25-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

she drives it and she doesnt mind the noise
That's all you need to know! You're done!

I don't notice mine while driving normally (or maybe I don't pay attention to it anymore)....If I pump the brake pedal I do notice it.

Leaving a stop light, the most noise it makes is ONE CLICK and I don't pump the brake pedal while driving down the road just to hear it make noise LOL

Yea the Accord is quieter. They never had booster pop noise AFAIK.
All the way around that car is probably quieter than the Civic.
Old 02-25-2018
Registered!!

thank you for your reply
Old 02-28-2018
Registered!!

This morning the clunk was louder ..I am taking it to the dealer