Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

09 civic delay in starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Josh Phillips is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation 09 civic delay in starting

I have a 2009 honda civic that has an issue when the weather is below freezing. I turn the key to accessory and all lights, Windows, etc work fine but turn key to start and get nothing. Sometimes takes up to 15 tries to get it to start. The colder it is the more I have to turn key to eventually get it to start. Once starter is finally engaged it cranks perfectly and quickly as it should. There is no battery, starter, or alternator issues whatsoever. I have checked and swapped all relays inside the main relay compartment under the hood. And also have checked all fuses in engine compartment and under dash on drivers side. I'm really frustrated as I'm sure it's an electrical issue but have run out of ideas and don't wanna pay a mechanic an arm and a leg for a 5 dollar part.
Old 01-12-2018
cj1
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cj1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 09 civic delay in starting

Electrical issue, use voltmeter to verify v to starter solenoid.
Trace starter circuit from ignition to solenoid.
BBBind.com has schematic.
Old 01-12-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

could be a bad power or ground connection. make sure everything is clean, tight and shiny
Old 01-12-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Won't start = needs a starter!

Test, don't guess.