09 civic delay in starting - Honda Civic Forum

Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2018   #1  
Registered!!

Josh Phillips is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation 09 civic delay in starting

I have a 2009 honda civic that has an issue when the weather is below freezing. I turn the key to accessory and all lights, Windows, etc work fine but turn key to start and get nothing. Sometimes takes up to 15 tries to get it to start. The colder it is the more I have to turn key to eventually get it to start. Once starter is finally engaged it cranks perfectly and quickly as it should. There is no battery, starter, or alternator issues whatsoever. I have checked and swapped all relays inside the main relay compartment under the hood. And also have checked all fuses in engine compartment and under dash on drivers side. I'm really frustrated as I'm sure it's an electrical issue but have run out of ideas and don't wanna pay a mechanic an arm and a leg for a 5 dollar part.
Josh Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018   #2  
cj1
Registered!!

cj1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 09 civic delay in starting

Electrical issue, use voltmeter to verify v to starter solenoid.
Trace starter circuit from ignition to solenoid.
BBBind.com has schematic.
cj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018   #3  
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Colin42 is a glorious beacon of lightColin42 is a glorious beacon of lightColin42 is a glorious beacon of lightColin42 is a glorious beacon of lightColin42 is a glorious beacon of lightColin42 is a glorious beacon of light

could be a bad power or ground connection. make sure everything is clean, tight and shiny
Colin42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018   #4  
Allow me to explain through interpretive dance

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Won't start = needs a starter!

Test, don't guess.
ezone is offline   Reply With Quote