Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2006 Civic EX Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beeson76 is an unknown quantity at this point
2006 Civic EX Starting Problem

I have a 2006 Honda Civic EX. When I turn the key nothing cranks, clicks or anything. The Fuel Pump does work as I am hearing it. Battery is good as far as voltages. When I turn the ignition the only sound I hear is the fuel pump. After I turn off the ignition and turn it back on and turn off and turn it on and hold it for about 15 to 20 seconds, the car turns over and starts. So about 3 time off and on and holding for about 20 seconds each time.

It has progressively gotten worse over the last 2 and half months. At first not turning over for about 3 to 5 seconds on the first try to now taking 15 to 20 seconds to turn over. The problem will be there when the car sits over night. This means that once the car starts, it will take at least 8 hours (my time at work) to notice ANY starting problem. When I come out from work it takes about a good 5 seconds for it to turn over. But none of this having to turn the key off and on again. That only happens when it sits over night.

Do you think it could first of be the starter going bad? There is NO clicking. Fuel Pump does pump when I turn it on. Is there a relay that could be going bad? What about a battery connection? Could the overnight be maybe condensation developing on a connection? Could the fuel lines be losing pressure somehow (and is there a sensor in the car that will only crank when it senses fuel pressure).

Thanks for any help you guys can provide. I will provide answers to any questions you have as to I know this is going to be a hit and miss until we get the problem sorted out

Thanks again you guys
Old 08-22-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: 2006 Civic EX Starting Problem

Originally Posted by beeson76
Do you think it could first of be the starter going bad? There is NO clicking.
Next time it doesn't start right away try tapping on the starter (not solenoid) with a tire iron or hammer handle.If it starts right afterwards then it's most like the starter contacts going bad. Also, make sure the battery terminal connections are tight as well as the connections to the starter solenoid.

Fuel Pump does pump when I turn it on. Is there a relay that could be going bad?
I'm not familiar with 8th gens but with 5th and 6th gens one easy way to check fuel flow is to loosen the banjo bolt on the fuel filter or fuel rail while engine is cold and key in second position. DO you have a fuel pressure tester or live data scanner?

Could the overnight be maybe condensation developing on a connection?
Doubtful but, if there's corrosion on battery posts, terminals or other connections then clean them off and apply a thin coat of vasoline on them to help prevent corrosion and condensation.

Could the fuel lines be losing pressure somehow (and is there a sensor in the car that will only crank when it senses fuel pressure).
Refer to above response concerning fuel.

Another possibilty is a faulty ignition switch. Pretty common issue in 6th gens but not sure in 8th gens. Ezone most likely has some answers for you.
Old 08-22-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of people have to replace those starters.
Old 08-24-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beeson76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys for the nice replies. Gives me something to check out. I did a quick look at the motor to see if I could tap the starter and it looks like its in there pretty good and cramped. Not asking for a step by step guide by any means but if I were to replace the starter after troubleshooting is it easier taking it out through the wheel well (inner fender area) or from underneath the car.

I really appreciate the help guys
Old 08-24-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The starter goes out the bottom, but sometimes a long extension stuck through a wheelwell can reach bolts better.

Be VERY careful of the plastic intake manifold.