Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

Best car brake

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gulzarh will become famous soon enough
Best car brake

I bought brake kit with discs in last December but now it make noise and garagiste told me the pads are finished.
what are the best brake for car with 4 cylinders to last long?
what is ceramic, semi-metalic and other? i forgot the third type
here is the link of my kit
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by gulzarh; 08-22-2017 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-22-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best car brake

and garagiste told me the pads are finished.
Have you taken the wheels off and confirmed the condition or thickness of the brake pads for yourself?
Old 08-22-2017
Registered!!

No, he drive and said they are finished.
it doesnot make noise every time but sometime only.
what is the life of these pads if we drive 5km from home job and job to home?
Old 08-22-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

No, he drive and said
I suggest you take the wheels off yourself and verify for yourself if the pad thickness is still adequate, or if they are thin enough to be replaced.

Brakes can make a lot of noise (some much less than others) but still work fine and be safe. Noise does not always mean bad. Sometimes yes but not always.

If you want the brakes very quiet I'd suggest you use Hondas pads for best results but those aren't exactly cheap.
Old 08-23-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Those rotors are going to naturally eat up pads rather quickly. If you're not doing active racing or anything, cross drilled and slotted rotors will just make you go through pads faster.
Old 08-23-2017

^yeah but ate up a set of pads in daily 5km trips over 8 months?

What's that equal....maybe 2000 miles? FFS that's rapid wear if they truly are worn out.

DangerZones $8 compressed cardboard brake pads last longer than that LOL

FWIW we have a few customers with slotted and drilled discs, they don't seem to eat up pads much faster than anyone else. But IDK their habits, nor how long they really last. We didn't install them in our shop and don't do their brake work..
Old 08-23-2017
Registered!!

I will try to see another mechanic to remove the wheel and see if they are really worn, because I don't think in eight months they are finished. Plus the brake are working fine.
i think I need to see with different mechanic, thanks.
no I do not race or something just home to job and job to home in city that s all.
Old 08-23-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Get rotors that aren't drilled or slotted, and slap on a set of Hawk Performance Ceramic brakes. That'll ensure longevity and good braking performance
Old 08-23-2017

Plus the brake are working fine.
Brakes can "work fine" until there is absolutely nothing left.

At the point there is literally no friction material left on the pad, they make metal-to-metal contact and grind the rotor surface. LOUD, expensive sounding grind noise.
That's when a brake job suddenly gets a lot more expensive.

IMO for most drivers, rotors shouldn't normally need to be replaced every time you replace a set of pads.
Old 08-24-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ezone
IMO for most drivers, rotors shouldn't normally need to be replaced every time you replace a set of pads.
replaced mine at 125k miles