Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2008 Civic S, ventilated engine block

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leod is an unknown quantity at this point
2008 Civic S, ventilated engine block

Hi

Guys,

I hope one of you will be able to help me.. I have. 2006 Honda Civic 1.8 S MT. 42k km done. We had a flood here last week and my brother was on his way to pick me up from office. Somehow the Crank case got a hole and drained all the oil. Now one connecting rod has broken and it made holes in the bore..not sure if something has happened to engine head and valves. Do you suggest to replace the existing engine and swap it with a used one or send the bore and engine head to lathe for rebore. If we rebore the engine will it affect the longevity of the engine? What are the disadvantages of engine rebore for a Honda civic?. Any help will be appreciated..
Old 08-20-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2008 Civic S, ventilated engine block

Post moved to its own thread

Quickest and most efficient answer is to simply replace the the engine (complete) with a good and working used unit.

It is not cost effective to salvage a broken block and broken rod, you will purchase another block....and another (used) engine block from an auto recycle yard will most likely come with the cylinder head on it, just as it came out of the car ready to bolt in and run.

We had a flood here last week and my brother was on his way to pick me up from office.

Somehow the Crank case got a hole and drained all the oil.
It did not "somehow" happen.

Remove the air filter: You should find the air filter got wet--- and it might even weigh about a kilogram.

If so, your brother owes you an engine. (He should be the one to pay "the tax" so he learns the valuable lesson)
He drove through water that was far too deep, water was sucked into the air intake and the engine hydrolocked. Water cannot be compressed, that forced the connecting rod to break.

After you take this all apart you should find the intake manifold will have water standing in it.

Before you attempt to install another engine, you need to follow all of the intake air tubing to locate the large resonance chamber (if equipped, it is usually hidden in the front fender ahead of the wheel) because it will also be holding water. You do not want to go to all the trouble of fixing this just to have it suck in (hidden) water and ruin another engine.