Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2012 Civic - Strange Windshield Wiper Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mad_Jasper is an unknown quantity at this point
2012 Civic - Strange Windshield Wiper Issue

Hey guy, my daughter has a 2012 Honda Civic EX with 95K miles. I've owned it since new.

A couple of days ago, the wipers began slowing/speeding up with the speed of the car (or potentially with RPMs). When stopped at a traffic stop, they stop altogether and start working when car motion is resumed. I'm leaning toward an issue with the wiper motor but I wanted to check for suggestions here first.

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2017
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2012 Civic - Strange Windshield Wiper Issue

Was it set for INT mode ? It is speed sensitive. (but would not stop altogether at light though)
Old 01-13-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
Was it set for INT mode ? It is speed sensitive. (but would not stop altogether at light though)
It's the same in every mode. It's pretty much like there is only one setting now.
Old 01-13-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If it were the motor having a park position switch problem, you may be able to bump the wipers upward slightly with your hand and cause them to run (simulating wind pushing them upward while driving)

Otherwise....Adjust the intermittent wipe-variable delay ring? The delay time varies with road speed, so if you have it set to the shortest delay setting, they will swipe continuously above about 12 MPH...then revert back to short intermittent while stopped.
For that matter, does adjusting the variable delay still change anything at all?
Old 01-13-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
If it were the motor having a park position switch problem, you may be able to bump the wipers upward slightly with your hand and cause them to run (simulating wind pushing them upward while driving)

Otherwise....Adjust the intermittent wipe-variable delay ring? The delay time varies with road speed, so if you have it set to the shortest delay setting, they will swipe continuously above about 12 MPH...then revert back to short intermittent while stopped.
For that matter, does adjusting the variable delay still change anything at all?
I bought this car new and drove it almost 4 years and 85K miles and didn't know the lowest setting was speed sensitive.

My daughter swore it was stopping when she stopped, but it wasn't. And it only slowed below a certain speed. It wasn't a problem at all.

Thanks for your responses!
Old 01-13-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper
I bought this car new and drove it almost 4 years and 85K miles and didn't know the lowest setting was speed sensitive.

My daughter swore it was stopping when she stopped, but it wasn't. And it only slowed below a certain speed. It wasn't a problem at all.

Thanks for your responses!
I think it's explained in the owners manual..... That book is full of handy information!

ALL of the intermittent settings are speed sensitive.

As you go above about 12 MPH (? I forget the exact numbers here but it's low road speed) the intermittent shortens the interval time the equivalent of one click of the control ring.
(If the ring was set to shortest interval, road speed input causes it to become constant--no interval....which is what I figured had happened.)

As your speed drops below (around) 6 MPH or so, the interval time increases again.

Ever notice....
When set on intermittent, the wipers will swipe the moment you take your foot off the brake pedal? The control unit uses brake light switch input to run the wipers one time, so you have a clear windshield when the light turns green and you begin to cross the intersection.

HTH
Old 01-14-2017
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

I myself would like to see an interval that was not speed sensitive, the wipe on brake release is.... o.k.

On the 2010(modded LX) always wanted to add a resistor inline (and had one in place for a while) to get longer delay times.

The delay time with speed sensitive is just too short at higher speeds.