Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Bizarre texture along bottom of car

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CanHitman is an unknown quantity at this point
Bizarre texture along bottom of car

I bought a 2015 Civic 4-door Sedan in January. Now unless the weather, snow dirt and grime blinded me to this, I'm just noticing a strange pattern along the bottom of the car on both sides of the door. A very rough texture that looks hideous after I just got the vehicle cleaned.

Is this normal or could be the result of having my the car rust proofed a week after purchase?

I've attached some photos. Love the site and hope someone can help me and tell me this is nothing serious (or was I totally oblivious when I bought the car?)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rust1.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	87605   Click image for larger version

Name:	rust2.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	87606   Click image for larger version

Name:	rust3.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	87607  
Old 04-04-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bizarre texture along bottom of car

It's factory.
It's a rock chip guard, a heavy thick layer (like an undercoat) applied to the bottom couple inches before they paint it body color to avoid stone chips in the paint.
Go to the lot and compare to another car.
Old 04-05-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CanHitman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
It's factory.
It's a rock chip guard, a heavy thick layer (like an undercoat) applied to the bottom couple inches before they paint it body color to avoid stone chips in the paint.
Go to the lot and compare to another car.
Thanks - I feel silly but I really don't recall it looking that bad and visible just looking directly straight on. Would this be considered a bad undercoat job?
Old 04-05-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Go compare to a brand new car on their lot (hopefully the same color as yours). THEN evaluate yours.
Old 04-06-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

My 2014, although black, looks exactly the same.
Old 04-07-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Normal, factory.