Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Dealer or Independent Service

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
barryaz1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Dealer or Independent Service

I've been having my dealer do just about everything on my 2007 HCH since new, although I just let my regular service place (for about 15 years on other cars) put in new brake pads/machine rotors.

I know not to let any AC work be done by an independent, and my regular service place isn't really experienced in hybrids for oil changes or other real engine work, but that should leave much that I can avoid the dealer for.

In general, what am I safe having him do vs. the dealer? What about engine mounts, which I do need?
Old 02-24-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about
Re: Dealer or Independent Service

Look for local repair shops that specialize in Honda / Acura repairs. I found one in my area that consists of mostly X Honda Dealership Mechanics. There service on AC was good and much cheeper.
Old 02-24-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

and my regular service place isn't really experienced in hybrids for oil changes
WALMART does oil changes on these (although I don't always trust them)...... You are saying your mechanic can't?

You trusted your mechanic to do the brakes, and your life depends on those brakes!

Oil change is straightforward, like every other ordinary oil change. Nothing special except for the oil.
Four quarts of 0w20 oil, easily available if one does a little looking, and the filter used is the same as any other Honda.

or other real engine work,
What sort of "real engine work" do you expect to need, anyway?
You shouldn't ever need "real engine work" if you take care of the engine properly, it's a HONDA fergawdsakes.
LOL
Actually, they have been damn reliable here. VERY few issues with the engine in the Hybrid IMO.

Basic maintenance as per your owners manual (also see "maintenance minder"), dealer parts for most parts, and common sense-- goes a long way.

If CVT trans: I recommend to service the trans every 30,000 miles, or even more frequently....Again, with the correct CVT fluid from a Honda dealer.

What about engine mounts, which I do need?
What makes you say you need mounts?
I haven't had to replace any mounts in a Hybrid Civic, just the regular Civic.
Old 02-25-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
barryaz1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone

What makes you say you need mounts?
I haven't had to replace any mounts in a Hybrid Civic, just the regular Civic.
When I had the brake pads done a few weeks ago (at 100K), my regular independent mechanic said Right Mount was collapsed and needed replacement. Just checked my old receipts - dealer had replaced "side engine mount" in 4/14 at 92.8K and 2 months ago said that "transmission mount" is needed, along with Compliance Bushings (which I've read up on and started feeling a vibration with slow left maneuvers and seems to make sense). Are these two different mounts?

Dealer Price on Transmission Mount was $505 (Independent on Motor Mount, $489), Dealer on Bushings $540 with alignment (Independent didn't suggest). Thoughts? Fair pricing?

I will absolutely do what's necessary - planning on keeping another 2 years, as I have the California 10 year IMA Warranty and will sell at about 9 months short of that.
Old 02-25-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

my regular independent mechanic said Right Mount was collapsed and needed replacement. Just checked my old receipts - dealer had replaced "side engine mount" in 4/14 at 92.8K
IMO both are probably describing the same mount. Return to the dealer for warranty if it is really bad. Dealers work should have at least 12/12 warranty on parts and labor.

along with Compliance Bushings
Those are in the lower control arms.
Fair pricing?
Prices vary greatly. I can't comment on that.
You can look up your own parts prices on any of several dealer websites.
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/
http://estore.honda.com/