Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

My timing skipped - are my valves ok?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mbolen23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow My timing skipped - are my valves ok?

Thread removed from the sticky, that's what the OP means about hijacking - from your friendly neighborhood Moderator team

No means to hijack this post but if an 06 civic si jumps time due to poor maintenance (what I suspect) what are the chances that it did not bend any valves? What are the chances that it bent valves?

Last edited by sdaidoji; 02-27-2015 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-26-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about
Re: Does an O6 have a timing belt or timing chain?

I have a 2006 and I could find no mention in the service manual of any inspection for the timing chain. Saw some mention of the pin but you would need to tear engine down to get to it, so I assume you would be in there for some problem and basically an inspection on what should be replace putting engine back together. The rubber outer accessory drive belt has a tensioner on it that has a mark that as belt wears and stretches, shows a replacement necessary. Belt also need to be inspected for cracks and wear visiual. Probably be a good idea to just replace it ever 100K. My 06 has 94K. I put a new OEM one in the trunk. Shortly will replace it and carry the old one in the trunk. That H2O pump is driven by the belt now unlike when it was on the timing cam belt. You absolutely do not want to run a Honda if the drive belt breaks unless it is an emergency. If you can get off the road in a safe area, call a rollback or carry a spare belt

Last edited by RIPSAW; 02-27-2015 at 05:06 AM.
Old 02-26-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does an O6 have a timing belt or timing chain?

Originally Posted by mbolen23
No means to hijack this post but if an 06 civic si jumps time due to poor maintenance (what I suspect) what are the chances that it did not bend any valves? What are the chances that it bent valves?
Depends on how far it jumped. Was it still able to run?

If it was still able to run, then it only jumped a tooth or two, did not bend valves, and probably would just need a timing chain replacement job. Not all that cheap but far cheaper than fixing bent valves.

If it does not run, then more checking may be needed to determine if there is more damage.

Lesson to learn: Don't neglect oil change maintenance in the future! And.....don't go for the cheapest oil change in town. Correct spec oil is pretty important.

HTH