Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Loose steering and bad acceleration after hitting potholes

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dezso3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Loose steering and bad acceleration after hitting potholes

I drive a '13 Civic LX. The other week, I hit at least 5 or 6 potholes before the town that I live in had a chance to fill all of them in on its main roadways. Unfortunately, after I hit them, the steering on my car began to feel too loose, and the acceleration also became more sluggish. I took it to the dealership, but the mechanic checked it out and he told me that there was nothing wrong with it. I feel like he overlooked the problems on my car because I am positive that the steering does not feel normal, and neither does the rate of acceleration.
Old 01-17-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Loose steering and bad acceleration after hitting potholes

Have you checked and aired up the tires?
Are the tires original? How many miles on the car?
What are the roads like there? Ice and snow? Rain?

Is the steering wheel now crooked or off-center when driving in a straight line? Pulls? Doesn't go straight when you let go of the steering wheel?
Has the wheel alignment been inspected?

Does it now shake/vibrate/wiggle/waddle, at low speeds or high speeds? Describe.
Bent wheel(s)?

Have you taken the tech for a ride to demonstrate what you think is wrong with how it drives?
Have you tried a different dealer tech? Or a different dealership?
Compare to an identical known-good car while at the dealership. Take a test drive.

Pull any floormats away from the gas pedal.
Turn the ECON button off and drive it.