Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

HELP! My 2nd, 4th, 6th and reverse gears don't engage but my 1st, 3rd, and 5th work

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06HondaCivicSi is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation HELP! My 2nd, 4th, 6th and reverse gears don't engage but my 1st, 3rd, and 5th work

Someone please help. I have an 06 Honda Civic Si and all my lower gears( 2nd, 4th, 6th and reverse) no longer stay in gear. It will engage then pop back out but my upper gears(1st, 3rd, and 5th) all engage and stay in gear. I replaced the clutch and it still isn't back to normal. Now I am smelling this awful smell after driving for more than 10-15 min. My coworker said he smelled fluid when I cranked her up. Hope someone can help b/c I miss my car being normal.
Old 01-19-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: HELP! My 2nd, 4th, 6th and reverse gears don't engage but my 1st, 3rd, and 5th wo

What's the smell caused by? Figure that out and it might solve your problem.

Is the trans fluid low? Had it been run low? That could cause internal damage.

Is something obstructing the shift linkage on the trans? Is a cable loose on the trans?
Have someone work the shifter while someone else watches the linkages on the trans.
Old 01-19-2015
Registered!!

Re: HELP! My 2nd, 4th, 6th and reverse gears don't engage but my 1st, 3rd, and 5th wo

Thanks for replying. It smells like exhaust. And I'm not sure if the trans fluid is low but I can check. When I state that it doesn't work, I mean that I can shift into 2nd gear but it won't stay in gear. It pops back to Neutral. My upper gears engage and work perfectly.
Old 01-19-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

How many miles on this rig?
Is the fluid low?
Has the fluid been replaced regularly?
Every 30k?
Ever?

If it's not caused by linkage or fluid issues then it's probably internal in the trans, which means overhaul time.
Old 01-19-2015
Registered!!

It has been changed but not often as suppose to. It was changed when I replaced my clutch last year. I didn't know how often I was suppose to change it.
Old 01-19-2015
Registered!!

Does overhaul time mean I'll need a new trans?
Old 01-19-2015

Originally Posted by 06HondaCivicSi
Does overhaul time mean I'll need a new trans?
That would be "replacement".

Overhaul would be take it out, take it all apart, find and fix the problem, along with inspecting, measuring, and replacing anything needed like bearings and synchros and whatnot.
Old 01-19-2015
Registered!!

Oh. Sounds expensive. I might just trade it in
Old 01-19-2015

It's worth a lot more when everything works right.

Old 01-19-2015
Registered!!

Exclamation Re: HELP! My 2nd, 4th, 6th and reverse gears don't engage but my 1st, 3rd, and 5th wo

Very true. I've been told that before but my piggy bank may not be able to afford that. I will definitely look into pricing the repair. Is there a particular trans fluid you recommend?

[/QUOTE]
Old 01-19-2015

Is there a particular trans fluid you recommend?
Hondas MTF.

Um....What did you put in there?
Old 01-19-2015
Registered!!

That's what my manual said so that's what I put in there. Wasn't sure if there were different ones for that type. #blondemoment
I don't know much abt my car but I'm trying to learn as much as I can b/c I Iove Ivy(my car's name) to death!!!!
Old 01-19-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

?

Nothing to do with engine swaps, will move your thread when I get into a computer that can move it...
Old 01-19-2015
Registered!!

Nothing to do with engine swaps, will move your thread when I get into a computer that can move it...[/QUOTE]

???
Old 01-19-2015

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
?

Nothing to do with engine swaps, will move your thread when I get into a computer that can move it...
Again, I didn't notice the category LOL.
Moved.
You really should try to figure out what's really wrong with it before you just get mad and dump it because you assumed the worst.

Old 01-20-2015
Registered!!

I am going to get it checked out first to see what the issue is before I make a final decision.