Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Minor items in a 2014 Civic LX

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014
Putonyourcans

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Putonyourcans is an unknown quantity at this point
Minor items in a 2014 Civic LX

I’ve had my 2014 Civic LX for a couple of months and noted some minor items. In advance of going to the dealership, I wanted to see if anyone had any related ideas/experience.

1. Occasionally, for brief periods, i-MID will not display radio information, but I can hear the radio ok.

2. At least two times, i-MID kept displaying incorrect radio information when the Source button on the steering wheel was pressed. Specifically, the cursor would land on the spot for AM, but the spot would show “FM” even though selecting that spot with the cursor resulted in AM broadcast.

3. For brief periods, the bottom LED of the instrument panel looks different than normal. Instead of a blue glow, the LED has an oily appearance. This lasts no more than a couple of minutes. This bottom LED is not part of the Eco Assist Ambient Meter.

4. AM radio sounds flat and somewhat muffled even after adjusting bass. But FM sounds fine.

Thanks
Old 05-31-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Minor items in a 2014 Civic LX

1. Occasionally, for brief periods, i-MID will not display radio information, but I can hear the radio ok.
How long does this "brief period" last?

2. At least two times, i-MID kept displaying incorrect radio information when the Source button on the steering wheel was
Was this related to the first complaint above?

3. For brief periods, the bottom LED of the instrument panel looks different than normal. Instead of a blue glow, the LED has an oily appearance. This lasts no more than a couple of minutes. This bottom LED is not part of the Eco Assist Ambient Meter.
"Oily appearance"?

It took me a couple minutes to figure out what part of the meter set you are talking about (at least I think I figured it out), and I own a 9th gen.
Poor description all around IMO. Definitely need to demonstrate this.

4. AM radio sounds flat and somewhat muffled even after adjusting bass. But FM sounds fine.
Unless you have something unusual going on, AM is like that.
That's why 99% of music was moved to FM back in the 70s, AM just doesn't produce high quality sound for music reproduction. It's fine for vocal though.

Compare your radio to an identical car.

Also read: http://www.diffen.com/difference/AM_vs_FM
--

--

--

--

--

You will definitely need to demonstrate each of your concerns to the service personnel before you leave your car.

We get many complaints that can't be duplicated.
We get just as many people that can't accurately describe their (valid) complaints, and service counter help that can't understand YET will not take 3 minutes to go to the car with the driver to try to understand what they meant.

So get everyone involved on the same page: demonstrate it.

--

I found no service bulletins related to your complaints with radio and IMID, nor the gauge cluster lights.
I am not aware of any software updates for the 14 Civics radio or IMID as of yet.

The radio and IMID are both computers that just happen to make noise and display a picture. They are susceptible to power variations and software glitches. (Sometimes strange things can happen, then they go back to normal after a restart, much like any personal computer.)

HTH
Old 05-31-2014
Putonyourcans

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Putonyourcans is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Minor items in a 2014 Civic LX

Originally Posted by ezone
How long does this "brief period" last?
Several minutes

Was this related to the first complaint above?
No, #1 and #2 are separate.

"Oily appearance"?
If the LED were off completely, it would simply be black. But when the LED looks abnormal, it is gray with wavy lines, kind of like the appearance of a pool of dark oil.

Unless you have something unusual going on, AM is like that.
That's why 99% of music was moved to FM back in the 70s, AM just doesn't produce high quality sound for music reproduction. It's fine for vocal though.

Compare your radio to an identical car.
AM in my new car does not sound nearly as good as AM in my (very) old car. Since FM sounds ok in my new car, it seems that a speakers problem can be ruled out.

I found no service bulletins related to your complaints with radio and IMID, nor the gauge cluster lights.
I am not aware of any software updates for the 14 Civics radio or IMID as of yet.

The radio and IMID are both computers that just happen to make noise and display a picture. They are susceptible to power variations and software glitches. (Sometimes strange things can happen, then they go back to normal after a restart, much like any personal computer.)
Thank you for the research/input.