Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

ATF Leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013
Still Running

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my89CIVICDX is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink ATF Leak

Every 3 weeks my 1989 Civic (4 speed AT) loses about 2 oz. of ATF. I've been told that the front seal is leaking. I don't see any fluid on the ground. Why wouldn't I see the fluid if it's leaking? Since I don't have the funds to remove the transmission and replace the seal right now how risky is it to keep driving the car as long as I'm regularly checking and replacing the lost fluid?
Old 09-26-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ATF Leak

I don't see any fluid on the ground.
Leaks don't always have to leave drips on the pavement when parked.

Get underneath the car with a flashlight and look for wet spots on/around/near the bottom of the transmission and engine, see for yourself.

how risky is it to keep driving the car as long as I'm regularly checking and replacing the lost fluid?
Perfect!
As long as you can keep the fluid from getting too low, you might be able to go a tremendously long time without fixing the leak.

I'm sure you can buy a whole lot of fluid for the price of a seal and a bunch of labor charges.
Old 09-27-2013
Still Running

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my89CIVICDX is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your response. I've been to the mechanic with it and saw the wetness on the bottom transmission. They said it was the front seal-a costly repair. I was just wondering why there was no fluid on the ground.

"Perfect!
As long as you can keep the fluid from getting too low, you might be able to go a tremendously long time without fixing the leak."

Could doing this cause further transmission damage making an eventual repair even more expensive?
Old 09-27-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by my89CIVICDX
I was just wondering why there was no fluid on the ground.
I can't answer that.
Maybe it only leaks while running and driving. Maybe the leak is so very slow that you don't notice. It's a REALLY slow leak...Four drops per day maybe?
Could doing this cause further transmission damage making an eventual repair even more expensive?
As long as you don't let the fluid get too low, I wouldn't be inclined to think so.

2 oz/3 weeks is quite small for a car that old IMO. (That's only about 1/2 quart per year, right?)
A leak that small sure seems like a mere annoyance rather than a drastic problem.

But I might expect it to slowly get worse............eventually. Someday.