Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

New to forums and Hondas. Issues with battery

Old 09-10-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OhioIsOnFire1 is an unknown quantity at this point
New to forums and Hondas. Issues with battery

Hey everybody, My names Ben. Im new to hondas and I bought a 2012 honda civic sedan 4 door EX for super cheap and it had some flood damage but its up and running for the most part. The issue im having is the car sat for a long time and i drove it ack from north carolina and it was fine. Parked it over night and it started fine the next day. A day later i went to go start it and the battery was dead. So i took the battery to auto zone and had it fully charged and it started fine again. this morning before work i started it just to see and it had a little trouble starting up but it turned over just fine. Just trying to point what could be going on. I dont think its the alternator and the battery looks fine. No corrosion, terminals are good, good connection. any guidance would be great. Im not driving yet cause it needs to be liscensed in GA but i was going to take it to autozone to have the alternator checked next. thank you again
Old 09-10-2013
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: New to forums and Hondas. Issues with battery

Those batteries are just enough to get by in the 1.8s.

Pop the caps and check the fluid level in the cells.

How flooded was it ?? You are a brave soul.
Old 09-10-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you can easily pop caps off of an OE battery.

--------------------------------------------------

Instead of having the Zone merely charge the battery, didn't you also have them test the battery? (A passing test doesn't mean the battery is good, it only means that it passed that particular test.)

Then check for excessive draw when everything is supposed to be shut off. Flood cars are great for mysterious electrical gremlins.

---------------------------------------------------

If the car sat for a long time and the battery was dead for that length of time, the battery is very likely to be trash. Sulfated.

Car batteries aren't designed to be completely drained of power like that, and aren't designed to be left in a dead state.

Replace battery.
Old 09-10-2013

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

I popped mine easily a short time ago on my 2010 and glad I did, needed to add to some of the cells. Noticed that the "eye" was a funky color, returned to green afterwards but those batteries seem cheap right from day one.

Battery bracket stayed in place even.
Old 09-10-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OhioIsOnFire1 is an unknown quantity at this point

wasnt flooded bad, floormat level. inside was professionally cleaned. its an awesome car and i couldnt pass on the price. I dont think the battery is an OEM battery. So just because the battery charged doesnt mean its good is what your saying?
Old 09-10-2013

A deep cycle can be tough on a lead/acid battery.

You may just need to see if it continues going flat.