Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Technical issues with my 97 dx, need some help/ advice.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MjCiviC97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Technical issues with my 97 dx, need some help/ advice.

Hello all,

I'm gonna start from the get go when i encountered the problem. I had recently switched my radiator due to a hair line crack, knowing I had a vacation coming up for a week out of town. Everything is going smooth over the hills an I was surprised that my engine wasn't heating up passed its normal boundaries, which it usually does in city. So I reach the little town me an my family are staying at with ease and turn off my car an unpack an set up my tent. I return an set the key to on for the battery without havin the engine on so I could use a pump an blow up my mattress. Out of no where my car stutters and shuts off with out warming or hesitation. So I think I over did it on the battery an I come back with a relatives truck to give it some juice, I let it sit for 5 min before I attempt to turn on my car an bam, nothing. The engine turns over but ignition. Just straight up doesn't turn on. I try it a couple times before I give up for awhile. I come back with a friend who knows a good amount about cars an notices that my spark plug wire is not connected an we push it on when normally it clicks in place. It made sense because earlier my car was running a little rough on the way up but it wasn't a problem. I had come to the conclusion that I didn't have the proper tools to fix it so I called a mobile mechanic to help out. We came to the conclusion that no sparks were actually comin from the spark plugs as we took one out an tested it against the engine. Next we went took apart the cap I believe it's called, I'm not a mechanic or anything. It's were the spark plugs connect to the distributor. An we noticed the router was not looking good at all, let alone able to conduct a spark. I bought a new cap, Wires, Router. An attempted it again an still it just keeps turning with no spark. So we take the cap apart again a attempt a couples tests to see if it can directly conduct a spark an there it is. At this point i don't know what to fix. We isolated it down to either the distributor or the ignition control module. Can anyone help me please ?? I mean does the distributor deal with any electrical parts to be able to solve this or does this sound like a icm? We also ran a computer on the car an no errors came up. But the battery light is on.
Old 08-02-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Technical issues with my 97 dx, need some help/ advice.

If the coil was able to create any sparks at all, then the rest of the really important electrical parts inside the distributor were working at that time.

Question now becomes: How long of a spark will the coil create? It needs to be able to make a spark at that jumps a gap of least 3/4 inch or longer. (If the coil can only make a spark that is 1/8" long, that isn't enough.)

If you did have good spark, then you should have a cap/rotor/wires issue. Spark getting lost or re-routed between coil and plugs.

If spark was present but weak, then it's a bad coil.