Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Need help identifying a part

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shoalscat is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Need help identifying a part

Hello Everyone. Recently I was driving my 2000 civic ex and parked it to return a movie. I left it running. As i put it in drive the check engine light came on and it started sputtering and idling weird. I pulled into the nearest lot and cut it off. Upon restarting, it ran fine but the CEL was still lit. I checked under the hood. There is a vacuum hose i think that was connected to a small cylinder. The line runs from the valve cover to the cylinder which is diagonally back/left from engine. The cylinder is about an inch and 1/2 long. It looks metal but the top tht connects to the hose is plastic(which broke off inside the hose). There is also another hose running from it to the intake. I tried all the auto parts stores. No help. I tried googling. I only do maintenance and easy mechanical fixes to my car. Please Help.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20130428_151654.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	85088  
Old 04-29-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need help identifying a part

Uhh.. you're gonna need to zoom out a bit and show us the cylinder you suspect it came from. Right now, I'm just staring at a bit of rubber, and I have NO idea of the orientation of the engine with this view.

Also, when you say "back left" do you mean behind the engine, to the left as you're staring at it, or the left side of the car? I do believe the standard is as if you're sitting in the driver's seat, the left side would refer to the driver's side.
Old 04-29-2013
Registered!!

Sorry for the confusion. I meant as if you are standing in front of the car. Ill include a zoomed out pic.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20130429_053541.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	85089  
Old 04-29-2013
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

No worries. I don't own a 6th gen, so I'm just trying to help you get your answer. My google-fu tells me that its possibly a "cold start assist," or something like that. I have no idea wtf that entails, or how it could adversely affect your car's performance in the manner in which it is.
Old 04-29-2013
Registered!!

It ended up being a check valve for coolant. Had to order from Honda. Im guessing it needed a restart after it happened to adjust to the vacuum loss cuz now it runs ok. Thanks for your time and help.
Old 04-29-2013
Administrator
Administrator

No problem. Sorry I wasn't of much help, but I'm glad you got it all taken care of.