Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1998 civic dx smoking like crazy

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
budbewiser is an unknown quantity at this point
1998 civic dx smoking like crazy

Hey,
So here's the deal, I put my car in storage for about 4 months and now i start it up and it's got the surging idle and it has white smoke that really just smells like exhuast but tons of it all the time except for the first 10 or 15 seconds after i start the car. The car was stored out side and there has been a far amount of rain and such. When I put it away I took of the air filter and clogged the intake with a rag to keep critters out and did the same with the exhaust. I put fogging oil in all the cylinders to keep them from rusting, maybe a bit to much fogging oil but it was in there. I also put fresh oil in before storing it. Now I have had it running/idling for probs about a hour on and off trying to figure it out. I had the throttle body off and cleaned the Iac and the surging idle went away for a while but now has come back. Did a compression test and all the cylinders are at 180 or just above for dry test and 190 or just below for wet test. I am not losing any oil or coolant so my last thought was I am running rich but it would have to be a lot of extra gas for the amount of smoking coming out.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Bryan
Old 01-02-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1998 civic dx smoking like crazy

I put fogging oil in all the cylinders
maybe a bit to much fogging oil but
had it running/idling for probs about a hour on and off

How much have you actually DRIVEN the car?
Oil and coolant are full?
Go hammer it --hard-- around town, and out on the highway for a while. Get the crap burned out of the exhaust.

See how it acts tomorrow.
Old 01-02-2013
Registered!!

Okay so today I was working on it and I cleaned out the injectors and started it up and it looked to me like it was smoking a little less but I could be wrong. Still no loss of coolant or oil. I did a few runs with the car almost taking it up to the red line. Then I parked it and turned it off then back on again and got a CEL and now the engine feels like it wants to die when at low rpms but fine at higher rpms and is very jerky. I do not have a OBD2 reader so I cannot scan the code I have read lots about IAC problems could my problems be caused by a bad IAC?

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 01-02-2013
Registered!!

I have driven the car just a few kms because It is not currently insured so I can't take it very far.
Old 01-02-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Here's why I thought to drive it and hammer it:

I rebuilt a Quad4 (GM engine) once ($100 car). I got it with a bad head gasket-losing coolant. ....I got it fixed and had it running in the shop for a good hour before I drove it. Looked good at that time.

Once I was driving, it started leaving billowing clouds. For blocks and blocks.

It took a bit of aggressive driving to get all of the exhaust hot enough to cook the leftovers out of it. At least 10 miles of repeatedly flooring it, 0-60mph-0 over and over.

Guessing by the size of the clouds the car was leaving, I'd say the cat and mufflers were probably holding a couple of gallons of antifreeze.

IDK how much of the oil fogging you did, but if there is waaay too much it might just need driven hard to get the exhaust hot...hot enough to cook it all out.
Old 01-02-2013

Oh yeah, get the codes read before you go guessing at stuff.
Old 01-02-2013
Registered!!

Thanks for all the input guys!

So I kept on wrenchin for a few hours just looking at stuff and trouble shooting. At first a did not want to take my intake manifold off but that was the last thing i could check without guessing at stuff. After I got the manifold off I saw that the gasket looked pretty nasty on the side where the coolant goes into the block! I will see if I can snap a quick pic and post it later. So I'm guessing that the coolant was seeping through the gasket and into my intake. I am going to pick up a new one soon here and through it in there and see what happens. Keepin my fingers crossed that that is what it is. It looked to me like it wasn't coolant but maybe I am just blind and can't see my coolant level going down.