Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

New to this, just joined...2006 civic maybe hydro locked

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chowlett5 is an unknown quantity at this point
New to this, just joined...2006 civic maybe hydro locked

My '06 civic 1.8 is possibly hydro locked/possible cracked with hole block(nope definitely has a hole, I found the piece). If the block is replaced would that fix my issue of not starting at all? Or would I have other things to worry about? Would appreciate some kind help ASAP...
Thanks so much,
Cristina
Old 09-05-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New to this, just joined...2006 civic maybe hydro locked

Got more details?
Was it run out of oil?
Was it run through high water?
Got pics?

Last edited by ezone; 09-05-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-05-2012
Registered!!

Yes ran through water, but it didn't seem deep...then wouldn't start. So I when I tried to start only clicking,took out plugs saw no water or felt no water on plugs.checked & took out oil ( no loss of oil) saw no waterish sludge in it, so tried starting again sounded like it wanted to turn over but then heard loud racket and a tinkling sound like something came off , stopped looked under car and found a piece of my engine block(I believe).
Old 09-05-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

First, see if you can figure out where the chunk came from exactly.

I would see if the air filter is soaking wet.
If it is, then chances are good that it WAS hydrolocked.
Now it may have bent or broken a connecting rod, that's the usual cause of punching a hole in the block casting.

I might pull the plugs out and crank it, see if it blows water out of the holes. If it can't crank over, maybe poke a long stick down the holes to check for water standing on top of the pistons. (If it has been there for a while, it could have seeped past the rings and into the crankcase oil. Water sits on the bottom under the oil, water would have run out first when the drainplug was pulled.)

If the starter won't crank it over, then I may do it manually with a socket on the crank pulley, by hand.

But wait, you seem to have serious block damage. Too late for all that.
Have you found where the chunk came from?
End result is, if it knocked a hole in the block, you need an engine.

Got insurance that will cover this?
Now would be a good time to call your agent.
Old 09-05-2012
Registered!!

But will replacing the block fix my problem or will I need to have additional things done too? Like top half of engine?
Old 09-05-2012

The entire engine will come out. I can have the engine and trans on the floor in about 2 hours without breaking a sweat (but I have done several of them). Putting it all back in takes a lot longer LOL.

The cylinder HEAD should be ok, as long as it hasn't sat with water for a long time. A day or 3 or a week is one thing. 3 months is quite another.

The intake manifold and vacuum hoses will probably be holding water, it will need dumped/cleaned out.

A used engine should be rather complete. I would want a '10-'11 engine, so you shouldn't have to worry about the cracked block problem.

If you go with factory new, it will be a block and rotating assembly (crank, rods, pistons), oil pan. It will be the updated (late '09, '10-'11) version, so you still shouldn't have to worry about the cracked block problem. (Factory does not sell a block and head already put together, you have to buy them separate and build it yourself, if you want it that way.)

Labor-wise, it will be the exact same job as the cracked block replacement IF the crankshaft can be rotated. If not, then add a few more work hours to the job. Or just pay for another torque converter and bolts if it is an automatic. (Did it shudder occasionally on or after shifts? May need one anyway. Seems to be a common problem.)

Plus all the gaskets, fluids, and work. There is a Honda bulletin that has all the part numbers, bulletin #10-048 (the cracked block bulletin).

Of course, everything will need to be evaluated upon disassembly.
HTH
Old 09-05-2012

You didn't say if the car sat in deep water.

If the carpets got wet, insurance may total it.
If the automatic trans got water in it, it could have serious problems soon too. See if the trans fluid looks like pink milkshake after it runs.