Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Flush the Transmission on a manual??

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flyn0108 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Flush the Transmission on a manual??

Hi Everyone,

I have been told that i need to flush my transmission on my 2008 Honda Civic LX, Manual. I have not had any maintenance done to the transmission and am going on 103,000 miles. Should the fluid be flushed? Or changed? Whats the difference? Also, how much does this usually cost? Thanks!

Last edited by flyn0108; 05-07-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-10-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ambene is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Flush the Transmission on a manual??

First, I'm not a mechanic nor do I play one on TV. Since noone has replied to your question, I will. I had the same question as I have a 2003 civic lx and I surely did replace the tranny fluid. (MTF for stick not ATF!) From what research I have done it appears this should be completed sooner than the recommended mileage in your owner's manual - my research indicates something more akin to 30k miles. I went to the honda dealer, bought the tranny fluid, the bolt and washer and drained it myself (you'll need a decent length funnel + clear hose and a drain pan). Pretty simple really. About $60 for all if I remember right, maybe less.
Old 07-10-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Flush the Transmission on a manual??

First, I'm not a mechanic nor do I play one on TV.
I am one, and I wish I could just play one on TV.

Manual trans: Drain and fill. 30k sounds good, but an 08 should have it come up on the maintenance minder when it is due.
More often can't hurt though.
I haven't seen any bearing problems from 8th gens yet, but we don't have very many manual trans cars here.

Automatic trans: Also drain and fill, Honda strongly discourages flushing with any machine or chemicals.
If you want a "flush" on an automatic, buy a case of DW-1 fluid and do multiple drain and fills as per the Honda service info:
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/p0420/A080100.pdf
Note: The Z-1 fluid mentioned is now obsolete.

I only recommend a flush like this if the fluid is contaminated, or severely neglected. With mentioning other caveats about what happens when it is neglected. (If a trans is already acting up, it is probably too late to start taking care of the fluid now.)

If serviced regularly, drain and fill should be all that is needed IMHO.
IMHO, max should be 30k between services.
Some of the cars will have trans issues no matter what you do.
I drain and fill the ATF on my moms 02 Accord every other oil change. So far, so good.