Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2006 Civic - need to replace muffler

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HuskyMD is an unknown quantity at this point
2006 Civic - need to replace muffler

Last night the muffler on my 2006 civic lx coupe broke off where it connects to the catalytic converter. The muffler and the tip all look like they are in great shape. But the connection rusted off. From what I can see online, the exhaust schematic makes it look like the muffler and the pipe that goes to the catalytic converter are all one solid piece (its all OEM). Does this sound correct? If i purchase a new muffler, it looks like I just have to purchase a gasket, two springs, two bolts, and the muffler. Does this sound correct? I like doing work myself and need to save the money right now (wife has cancer), I just want to be sure there's no soldering or welding involved. Also, can I take the tip off my current muffler and just attach it to a new muffler (not sure how the tip attaches)? Last, cheap muffler or stainless?
Old 02-02-2012
Registered!!

Re: 2006 Civic - need to replace muffler

I thought I'd be more specific about where it rusted off. See #8 below? The line going from 8 to the muffler - the metal on the muffler at the connection there is what rusted. So I was thinking all I have to buy is #3,6,8,9, and 11 below?
Old 02-02-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

3 is a rubber hanger, you shouldn't need that.

#8 and #9: you want 2 of each.

You'll probably want a new tailpipe tip too.
Old 02-02-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
3 is a rubber hanger, you shouldn't need that.

#8 and #9: you want 2 of each.

You'll probably want a new tailpipe tip too.
Thanks for the response. I can't reuse the existing tip?
Old 02-02-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, if you can get it off without damage. Since your exhaust flange snapped off (rusted?) I doubt the tip will be in any better shape once you put a wrench on it.

Try it and see.

And once you do that, I'm not sure it will tighten up again on a new muffler without using a slightly longer bolt.
Old 02-02-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Sure, if you can get it off without damage. Since your exhaust flange snapped off (rusted?) I doubt the tip will be in any better shape once you put a wrench on it.

Try it and see.

And once you do that, I'm not sure it will tighten up again on a new muffler without using a slightly longer bolt.
Alright. Thanks. I appreciate the advice. I really need to do this myself to save some $. Medical bills are killing me...
Old 02-03-2012
Registered!!

I got under the car today and with some penetrating oil managed to get the bolts off (although I snapped a socket piece in half) and removed the muffler. There is rusted pipe coming out of the catalytic converter. There is a bunch of crud fused onto the pipe. I figured out that it used to be the gasket. I was able to get some of the gasket gunk off, but not all of it. I used a wire brush, a chisel, all sorts of fun things. Then it ocurred to me that I'm not sure if the rusted metal pipe remaining is left from the muffler or if there is pipe sticking out of the catalytic converter. The pictures I've seen online make it look like both the cc and the muffler have brackets at the end, not pipe sticking out of the brackets. I'm worried I'm going to have to replace the cc too. I'm headed off to the auto parts store to investigate the parts (and see if there is a repair manual on an 06 civic... I took a picture but left my phone out under the car. May post it later.

Last edited by HuskyMD; 02-03-2012 at 01:10 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-03-2012

The cat is up at the engine. You are looking at the resonator or mid-muffler.

The donut shaped gasket must fit over a short section (3/4 inch long or so) of round tubing, it used to be sticking out of the resonator pipe on earlier cars. I would assume it (8th gen) is still built the same way.

Each pipe has a flange for the bolts and springs to fasten together.
Old 02-03-2012
Registered!!

Ha Ha, that explains a few things. I thought that mid muffler was the CAT. Thanks for setting that straight. Right, so the mid muffler has a pipe sticking out and a flange on it. The muffler pipe broke off at the muffler's flange. The very end of the pipe stcking out of the mid muffler is also breaking apart. I ended up getting someone to weld the muffler to it's flange. It is holding and doesn't seem to be leaking. I realize it is just a temporary fix. Hopefully it'll last a few months to a year. I wasn't to impressed with the welding to be honest. Very spotty and shoddy.
Old 03-09-2013
Registered!!

civicduty1988 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, I just finished fixing this problem. The flange rusted off just like yours.

heres how i fixed it, and then i'l tell you the best way to fix it.

I bought a split collar flange, bolted it on, with longer screws. It was a lot of work for something that sounds so simple. I dont recommend anyone using this technique, it works but it takes too much work. cost of parts, 30.00$

Now, heres the best way to fix this problem. NO WELDING.

Borrow a friends resiprocating saw, "saws-all". cut the exaust pipes at the flang on both sides of the joint, good and bad sides so your left with two pipes and no more flanges flares, nuts and bolts. Buy a 3 inch long pipe, with a male and female end for your pipe diameter. also you'l need two Exaust U clamps. they sell them near the exaust pipes at your canadian tire/w.e store you use. Simply join the pipe now. The flanges that rusted off are only there for convenience of installation on the assembly line. its a solid connection just like this method.

This method is not temporary, and will last longer than the rest of the exaust system. I wish i had thought of it the day of my repair, and not the morning after. also, its the cheapest. go figure.

Just finished. needed an 1 3/4 id, and 1 1/2 od adapter pipe and two muffler clamps. less than 12$. i have pictures if you skype me. thomas.clarry

Last edited by civicduty1988; 03-16-2013 at 05:36 PM.