Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Use a Shorter Drive Belt?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DanS is an unknown quantity at this point
Use a Shorter Drive Belt?

The AC compressor in my 2006 Civic is failing. It still works, but it squeaks and does not turn well. Since it's expensive to replace the compressor, I was thinking maybe I could just use a shorter drive belt and bypass the pulley that drives the AC compressor.

Is it possible to buy a shorter drive belt?
Other than not having AC, is there any downside to doing this?
Old 01-24-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Use a Shorter Drive Belt?

I have yet to see one of these compressors fail in a system that is all original, as of yet.

Yes, you can.
Ask for a serp belt to fit a 06 Civic DX without AC.
(The Autozone site didn't ask if it has AC, but another parts store site did ask. So it might take some trial and error.)

Defogger will be crappy without any AC. Summer will suck. Other than that, no.
Old 01-25-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DanS is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Use a Shorter Drive Belt?

The AC compressor clutch failed two years ago, about three days after I had the car in at the dealer for maintenance. I had it replaced by an independent mechanic.

Then last fall I took the car in to Discount Tire to have them put the snow tires on, and the AC compressor started squeaking soon after. The AC and defogger work fine, but my mileage stinks.

Thank you for your advice. I have a very short commute now, so I will probably just get a Civic DX belt as you suggested.