Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Transmission flush--really necessary??

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sue3051 is an unknown quantity at this point
Transmission flush--really necessary??

I just brought my 2008 honda civic in for an oil change and the mechanic kept insisting that it was necessary for my car to get a transmission flush. My car has 39,000 miles on it, not highway. They were pressuring me to get it, that I felt so guilty, but they wanted over $200 to do it and I don't have any amount of extra cash!! Is this a scam? how long should I wait, my car is an automatic. thanks for your help! I felt like a bad mother when I got my sales receipt and on the bottom it said that I had declined the car its transmission flush
Old 09-30-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Transmission flush--really necessary??

usually a flush will destroy the trans quickly. honda recommends against it for many reasons. a simple drain and fill (using honda dw1 atf) is all you need to replace 1/2 the total fluid capacity. it is easier than doing an oil change. those quick lube places try and find anything to rip you off. and they would have used junk fluid that would cause even more problems. usually i recommend doing a second drain and fill a month later to get even more old fluid out. but being the car is 3 yrs old, i would get it done soon.
Old 10-03-2011
Registered!!

sue3051 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, thanks for the reply, I went to a Honda dealer to get my brakes done. I can't believe they recommended the trannie flush when it wasn't necessary--so I should just ask them for a "drain and full" on the trannie?? thanks for your help
Old 11-02-2011
Registered!!

KB09CIVIC is an unknown quantity at this point

Never flush a Honda transmission with a machine. Honda recommends 3-4 drain fills as a complete flush. I buy a case of ATF and do 4 drain fills every 50,000 miles with a 5 mile ride in between each D/F. Afterwards the shifting is like brand new. This will extend the life of a Honda transmission a very long time.