Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

ECU problems. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mahlon is an unknown quantity at this point
ECU problems. HELP

Hi guys new here so hopefully I'm in the right spot. I have a 01 Honda civic 1.7L. Had a broken bolt in alternator which fried the ECU. My question is I can't find the exact part number for my ecu. I found one that is the exact computer just not the exact part number. My understanding is it will still work but since it isn't the same part number instead of just getting it reprogrammed I now have to have a new key made?. My question is I just seen a post that said if I buy a ecu that comes with the ignition and key I can just switch both and not have to have it reprogrammed at all. Is that true. Any help would be great. Hope I'm making sense lol.
Old 09-11-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ECU problems. HELP

ANY replacement ecm/pcm, new or used, has to be electronically "mated" to the keys and immobilizer system in your car.

If you get a used pcm along with the immobilizer and keys it was mated to, it will run without dealer programming.. The ignition switch and steering column lock assembly contains the immobilizer control unit.

Downside: Multiple keys needed to open the door and start the engine, and if you ever lose the ignition key you're kinda screwed as the dealership can't cut a key by code for a lock that did not originally come on the car.