Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

Electrical Problem???

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
samzzie is an unknown quantity at this point
Electrical Problem???

Hello forum,

So I've been having some random problems with my 2004 civic lx that I think could be a wiring issue? Last night I went to go drive to the store, my car starts up fine but as soon as I turned my headlights on weird things started happening. My wipers started going off when they weren't on, my blinker light was on but not flashing and I also couldn't signal. I got out and noticed my right headlight was out.

So thinking it was just a burnt bulb I replaced it but it didn't fix anything. New bulb and the light still doesn't work. Also now when I unlock my car from the control panel my wipers go off and don't stop unless I turn my car off. When I lock my car from the control panel it beeps at me now.

I have no idea why this started happening or what the problem is.

Also I should mention that I tested the battery and that was fine as well.

Has anyone had this issue or have any clue as to fix this?

Thanks for reading!
Old 02-19-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about
Re: Electrical Problem???

Originally Posted by samzzie
Also now when I unlock my car from the control panel my wipers go off and don't stop unless I turn my car off. When I lock my car from the control panel it beeps at me now.
What do you mean control panel? The lock button in the door I'm assuming?

Have you tested the alternator? Maybe it's spitting out some crazy voltage. Dead battery/bad alternator can cause some weird electrical issues.
Old 02-19-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by drhawkinz
What do you mean control panel? The lock button in the door I'm assuming?

Have you tested the alternator? Maybe it's spitting out some crazy voltage. Dead battery/bad alternator can cause some weird electrical issues.
Checked the alternator, showed up fine. And as I said before, the battery is fine too.

And yes, bad choice of words on my part, I should have said the power lock on the door. When I push unlock, my wipers turn on automatically rather slowly and I can't stop them unless I turn my car off. And the *beep* noise when I push lock is new and started happening with all these other problems.

I can't figure it out. I've searched forums, and checked my manual but no relatable issues. Worst case I may have to have someone look at it :/
Old 02-19-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about

Checked the alternator, showed up fine. And as I said before, the battery is fine too.
What voltage was it outputting while the car was running?

When I push unlock, my wipers turn on automatically rather slowly and I can't stop them unless I turn my car off. And the *beep* noise when I push lock is new and started happening with all these other problems.
I'm assuming you haven't had any work done recently like trying to install an aftermarket alarm or anything?
Old 02-19-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I'd make a list of all the different things affected and see if they all have a common denominator....then start testing.
Old 02-20-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
I'd make a list of all the different things affected and see if they all have a common denominator....then start testing.
Seems it's getting worse..

*New issue*
When signaling Left, the blinker makes a beep or screeching noise, doesn't flicker

Other issue's:

Windshield wipers hardly work on low speed

Driver side headlight still doesn't work

Car beeps when doors lock

Obviously the car is telling me something is wrong but I can't pinpoint a certain problem to fix because they're all kind of random..
Old 02-20-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by drhawkinz
What voltage was it outputting while the car was running?

I'm assuming you haven't had any work done recently like trying to install an aftermarket alarm or anything?
Nope not at all.
Old 02-20-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Seems it's getting worse..

*New issue*
When signaling Left, the blinker makes a beep or screeching noise, doesn't flicker

Other issue's:

Windshield wipers hardly work on low speed

Driver side headlight still doesn't work

Car beeps when doors lock

Obviously the car is telling me something is wrong but I can't pinpoint a certain problem to fix because they're all kind of random..
Typed a bunch of jibber jabber but erased it all and left this:

Left blinker plus drivers headlight, they share the same ground...and that ground also goes to the park light, wipers, cruise, and the MICU, and maybe some other stuff depending on year and trims.....

Peel out the front edge of the drivers side front wheelwell liner or remove the bumper cover to find the washer tank and the left front SRS impact sensor... Just slightly below the impact sensor and about 2 inches rearward of it, and somewhat hidden by the washer tank is a cluster of ground wires.
It's several black wires bolted to the body with a single bolt, 10mm wrench size.

Your problem should be there.
Might be loose, might be corroded, might be damaged....but that's the common denominator I see for every item in your list.

HTH