Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

Backup camera 7th gen dashboard reverse light wire color & harness location

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
alex_nyc is an unknown quantity at this point
Backup camera 7th gen dashboard reverse light wire color & harness location

Hi, my searching didnt come up with anything.

can someone please tell me which harness upfront has the reverse light and what color are the wires? For a Backup camera installation.

reverse light wire color:

harness location, etc:

7th gen 2003 civic sedan EX Auto

Thank You! Have a Great day!

Last edited by alex_nyc; 01-20-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-19-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 7th gen dashboard reverse light wire color & harness location

What's the goal here? Backup camera or something?

What year is the car?
EX, LX, or what?
sedan or coupe
auto or manual trans
Old 01-19-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The underdash fusebox is the junction point for many harnesses.

Rev + circuit is a green wire into and out of the fusebox at these points:
Connector D, terminal 8
Connector P, terminal 1

Auto and CVT trans car has a REV relay behind the glovebox, that would be easy access.
Old 01-19-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone

Connector D, terminal 8
Connector P, terminal 1

Auto and CVT trans car has a REV relay behind the glovebox, that would be easy access.
yes, Safety back up camera. 7th gen 2003 civic sedan EX Auto

Thank You!
Old 01-19-2014

Ok, the relay in the glovebox should be pretty convenient. Flop the glovebox wide open as if changing cabin filters, you should find a row of relays at the bottom edge. My pic shows it to be the black relay on the drivers side of the row. Green wire is + output to the reverse lights.

I got a $16 camera off the internet for my backup cam, it's connected to the iMID in the dash.
Mine came with the cable for the camera, it has RCA ends and it had a 3rd wire hanging outside of the RCA jack on each end.
The 3rd wire was supposed to be used to connect to the backup light circuit in the trunk area.
Old 01-20-2014
Registered!!

Ok, the relay in the glovebox should be pretty convenient. Flop the glovebox wide open as if changing cabin filters, you should find a row of relays at the bottom edge. My pic shows it to be the black relay on the drivers side of the row. Green wire is + output to the reverse lights.

I got a $16 camera off the internet for my backup cam, it's connected to the iMID in the dash.
Mine came with the cable for the camera, it has RCA ends and it had a 3rd wire hanging outside of the RCA jack on each end.
The 3rd wire was supposed to be used to connect to the backup light circuit in the trunk area.
im not sure what iMID is yet, but I have a $24 wireless camera kit plus a $17 video screen. The rear wiring is already done. Hopefully the weather will be warmer tomorrow so I can finish this one & start the next camera in my wifes 2010 civic LX auto 4dr no nav. Do you have the wiring info my 2010?

thanks again
Old 01-20-2014

im not sure what iMID is yet
iMID is the information display screen/monitor in the dash of 12 and never Civic.
2010 civic LX auto 4dr no nav.
That's gonna be trickier. Only connector up front is in the fusebox, and only one wire unless you happen to have something plugged into the accessory connector hole (open spot w/6 pins or so at top left of fuse portion when the box is standing upright).

Connector E, terminal 15. Wire color says purple or brown. --- (Brown for sedan?)
Layout is numbered 1-22 across the top, 23-42 across the bottom.
#1 is yellow, start counting from that.... #22 and 42 are both empty.

Pic is of the dash fusebox laying on its side. Fuses are at the bottom when in the car.
Connector E is a long one with a gray cover, the middle of the 3 long ones.

Was that simple enough? LOL
Old 01-20-2014
Registered!!

Thank you for your help, yes you made it very easy. Hopefully easy enough for me

Ill give it a try with my test light otherwise I might have to run a long wire from the backup light harness.

Last edited by alex_nyc; 01-20-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-20-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by alex_nyc
yes, Safety back up camera. 7th gen 2003 civic sedan EX Auto

Thank You!
Some FYI info to share.
I took this pic of the wires, harness & relays from behind the glove box.

The green wire to the bottom left is the reverse wire, it has power only when the key is on -while in reverse. You can do this with the engine off.
There were 2 green wires so get your test light ready.
The black relay on the bottom right in the reverse light relay.

The following users liked this post:
Scottboyd02 (05-29-2021)
Old 01-20-2014

so get your test light ready.
Test light? That's like a 4 letter word! That's not allowed 'round here!

Seems like there's only about 3 people that even know what one of those is AND knows how to use it.
Old 02-16-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bryanbrazil is an unknown quantity at this point

Connector D, terminal 8
Connector P, terminal 1

How do I figure out which connectors are D and P? Here's a photo of my under dash fuse box. I'm trying to connect the reverse signal wire on my head unit to the reverse wire coming out of the fuse box. Thanks!

https://i.imgur.com/9bDAShY.jpg
Old 02-16-2018

Re: Backup camera 7th gen dashboard reverse light wire color & harness location

Check out the pic in this post:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...-question.html
Old 02-16-2018
Registered!!

bryanbrazil is an unknown quantity at this point

Perfect, thanks!
Old 04-15-2018
Registered!!

Scottboyd02 is an unknown quantity at this point

Last edited by Scottboyd02; 04-15-2018 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-15-2018

Originally Posted by Scottboyd02
Where is connector D or P like described above?
Click the link in reply #12

IIRC the lead by the relay behind the glovebox is only on manual trans cars

Also....you could just run a wire from the back of the car, lay it along with the camera wiring.
Old 04-15-2018
Registered!!

Click the link in reply #12

IIRC the lead by the relay behind the glovebox is only on manual trans cars

Also....you could just run a wire from the back of the car, lay it along with the camera wiring.
Feel like an idiot saw post 12 right after I posted. I do have a manual. (05 EX Coupe) Reverse lead by relay didn’t jump out at me, is it a large gauge wire or hidden under something?

I’ve already wrapped my power, ground and video cable together with electrical tape. So that’s why I want to pick up the reverse signal by the dash.

I assume the terminals are numbered on the connectors right?

Last edited by Scottboyd02; 04-15-2018 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 04-15-2018

Feel like an idiot saw post 12 right after I posted. I do have a manual. (05 EX Coupe) Reverse lead by relay didn’t jump out at me, is it a large gauge wire or hidden under something?

I’ve already wrapped my power, ground and video cable together with electrical tape. So that’s why I want to pick up the reverse signal by the dash.
You're gonna have the camera powered all the time? May as well leave the monitor powered too, kinda like having a rear view mirror camera LOL

I assume the terminals are numbered on the connectors right?

No. I ALWAYS use a wiring diagram and check wire colors.....even when a connector is labeled....because they don't always follow the rules.

Also.....I mentioned IIRC (If I recall correctly) about the relay....and I finally got to look at a real diagram.....the auto trans cars use the reverse relay, not manual tans. I CRS. Sorry bout that.

Wire color is green, into and out of the fusebox

Same circuit also passes through the big gray harness junction connector in front of the glovebox/PCM area above the relays (cavity 7, one side is green, other side is green/white)
Old 04-15-2018
Registered!!

Appreciate the help. The green/green-white wire that passes through that big gray harness junction in front of the ECU will be easy to tap!

Still have those diagrams out? Since I’m right there which one is the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) I read that it was right there behind the glove box a blue white wire. It come out of that gray junction as well?

Powering the camera with the accessory wire so it’s only on when the car is on. Modern head units are designed to function this way. So yes I can switch to the reverse camera while driving Same way I have my Avalanche hooked up. Running Pioneer NEX head units.

Last edited by Scottboyd02; 04-15-2018 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 04-18-2018
Registered!!

I pulled that big gray junction connector out too look at it and the blue/white turns into white/green! So that should be the VSS!

While I had it out I noticed that there’s is a green/white wire that turns into a green wire on the bottom. Like mentioned above. However there’s also a green wire that turns green/white on the bottom. Time to bust out the multimeter to find out which is which.

OK so it’s the green wire the turns into a green/white wire on the bottom. To clarify the green wire comes in through the top of the big gray junction connector and comes out the bottom a green/white wire. It’s further back on the connector towards the firewall.

05 civic ex 5spd

Old 04-18-2018

I pulled that big gray junction connector out too look at it and the blue/white turns into white/green! So that should be the VSS!
STOP HERE!!!!!

While I had it out I noticed that there’s is a green/white wire that turns into a green wire on the bottom. Like mentioned above. However there’s also a green wire that turns green/white on the bottom. Time to bust out the multimeter to find out which is which.

OK so it’s the green wire the turns into a green/white wire on the bottom. To clarify the green wire comes in through the top of the big gray junction connector and comes out the bottom a green/white wire. It’s further back on the connector towards the firewall.

05 civic ex 5spd

Um, you're posting in 2 different threads?

The VSS signal circuit has no solid green wires at all. NONE
Old 05-29-2021
Registered!!

Some FYI info to share.
I took this pic of the wires, harness & relays from behind the glove box.

The green wire to the bottom left is the reverse wire, it has power only when the key is on -while in reverse. You can do this with the engine off.
There were 2 green wires so get your test light ready.
The black relay on the bottom right in the reverse light relay.

04 auto lx, for me it was the green/silver wire not the green/black one. I removed the entire glove box and the metal bracket it attaches to, so I could get at the wires under the black relay.