Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

Completely disable remote access system

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dev31415 is an unknown quantity at this point
Completely disable remote access system

Hello everyone,

Recently in my neighborhood there's been some episodes of thieves hacking the keyless entry systems of a few cars, just by using some special transmitters. (I've seen that in the news as well a few months ago).

I have a 2009 Honda Civic and I would like to disable the remote access system of the car car, so the only way to access the vehicle (for me, and everyone else!) is by physically inserting the key in the lock and turning. Does anyone know how to do so?

Thank a lot!
David
Old 09-18-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Completely disable remote access system

Recently in my neighborhood there's been some episodes of thieves hacking the keyless entry systems of a few cars, just by using some special transmitters. (I've seen that in the news as well a few months ago).
Check out the age of the cars this happens to. Are the cars about 15 years old or more?

to disable the remote
You would have to kill the MICU, and that would take out a lot of other functions.

You could pull the backup fuse out of the underhood fuse box, this should kill the keyless, radio, power locks (unless key is on), dome, and some other functions.
Old 09-19-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dev31415 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Check out the age of the cars this happens to. Are the cars about 15 years old or more?
As far as I know one of the cars was not more than 6 years old.

Thanks for the answer, so apparently we have no way of doing anything...
Old 09-19-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dev31415

Thanks for the answer, so apparently we have no way of doing anything...
Hondas keyless system is integrated with other components, you can't easily disable one thing without disabling others.

On that car, the keyless receiver is integrated into the immobilizer control unit (for the transponder chip keys) on the steering column. You can't disable one without disabling the other.
If you could strip the column covers to unplug it at night, you'd probably not like the hassle of the covers.... and if you leave the covers off, well, that's like an invitation for some thieves, right?