Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS / 94 Civic review

Old 04-13-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light
Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS / 94 Civic review

Here is my review I posted on Amazon.

Even though every place I researched said this would fit my car, it took some modifications, and I still can't use the CD player.
Because the RCA's are located on the edge, it caused fitment issues in my 94 Honda Civic. There are 2 plastic nubs a the back of the opening in the dash. These are for screws that hold on a body bracket from the back and are nearly impossible to reach.
Using a Dremel I ground the nubs and screws flush and the stereo still didn't want to slide all of the way in. I use Monster Cable RCA's and they may be longer than the standard RCA's.

After much re-arranging of cables and a lot of pressing on the unit, I finally got it to lock into place, although I am not positive a good jolt won't pop it back out. Tested the system, tuned the amps and placed everything back together. Opened the faceplate to remove it and it doesn't open all of the way. (I did not check that) It hits on the trim piece on the dash. I can kind of get the faceplate off but don't think I will ever get a CD player in the slot unless it will go in with the faceplate off. So now if I want to use the CD player, I will need to pull everything back out, disconnect the receiver and remove the mounting bracket, purchase a 1/4 inch spacer and put everything back together.

As far as the receiver goes, I had to increase the gain on my amps as it is only 4v output on the preouts where my JVC was 5 volts. The unit looks nice but would prefer flat black to reduce glare. Decent tuning abilities but an awkward interface.

Major disappointment is no pause button on the front anywhere. You have to go into several levels in the menu to find pause or you have to use the remote. No mute either.

Mix feature is OK. Some mixes are good others are really bad. Some make you think your stereo just died, Still learning which mix modes to keep on and which to turn off.

Overall I like the unit, but the lack of pause or mute on the face is a serious flaw in my opinion. If you drive a 92-95 Honda Civic, just know that you will have fitment issues and to plan on purchasing a spacer to make the install much easier.