Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

Power door locks lock automatically

Old 09-15-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chaufschild is an unknown quantity at this point
Power door locks lock automatically

Lately I have noticed that my 2002 HOnda Civic power door locks seem to lock automatically - and most times my keys are in the car (for example - was camping last weekend and wanted to keep my car unlocked for easy entry etc with my friends). half the time the door was locked - and i hadn't pressed the lock button on my keychain.

any ideas... i have been locked out of my car twice now... hmm
Old 09-16-2012
Registered!!

Max91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Power door locks lock automatically

That's interesting. It happened to me as well. The other night I had the car in the garage and I hit the unlock button and heard the doors unlock. Well, I didn't get right in to get what I was looking for and after a few minutes I heard the the doors lock. I got up and checked it, sure enough it was locked. I wonder if it was a frequency interference?
Old 09-16-2012
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

Its a safety feature built into the car. If you press the unlock button on the fob and dont open a door within 30 seconds, the car will automatically lock its self. It's a stupid invention but i guess its there to keep your stuff from getting stolen if you accidentally hit the ul button in your pocket as you're walking away. Ive locked myself out twice thanks to this lol.
Old 09-16-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i cut that wire a long time ago. i dont need any car telling me when the doors should be locked. i even unplugged the keyless receiver to save battery power. that way the doors only lock when i decide.
Old 09-16-2012
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

What wire is it?? i need to cut it....
Old 09-16-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

well for me it was tied into the aftermarket alarm which ive since removed. i dont think they have this feature stock, unless you have keyless and you unlock the doors and dont open a door. then it relocks. in which case take the radio bezel off and unplug the lil keyless receiver box near the bottom. but then you lose the keyless function.
Old 02-07-2013
Registered!!

guhles is an unknown quantity at this point

I am interested in this also. I have a 2001 civic with power locks and dealer installed remote alarm system. I am the original owner. This week, for no reason alarm went off when they were replacing windshield. Alarms were not set. He could have hit the panic buttton but I do not know. Before I could get there, they had reset by pulling battery cables and replacing. Since then, when you exit the car, without using the FOB, the doors automatically lock. It did not do this before the event. FOB works as before. Sure would like to know what changed or how to reset to a previous setting.
Old 02-07-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guhles
I am interested in this also. I have a 2001 civic with power locks and dealer installed remote alarm system. I am the original owner. This week, for no reason alarm went off when they were replacing windshield. Alarms were not set. He could have hit the panic buttton but I do not know. Before I could get there, they had reset by pulling battery cables and replacing. Since then, when you exit the car, without using the FOB, the doors automatically lock. It did not do this before the event. FOB works as before. Sure would like to know what changed or how to reset to a previous setting.
You SHOULD have a user manual that came with the security system when it was installed.

The instructions for changing the arming mode from AUTO to MANUAL are on page 6.
(Looks like you just stick the key in several times....easy enough to change it by accident.)

Link to manual:

http://auto.manualsonline.com/manual.../20012005.html

(I tried this one, it works.)

OR
Go to the Honda corporate website, register your info on "ownerlink" and you can probably download the manual from there.
Old 04-17-2017
Registered!!

eksine is an unknown quantity at this point

my problem went away when I replaced the door latch, there is a micro switch inside the door latch that tells when the door is open/closed, it is not the door jamb switch, that is a different switch

Originally Posted by chaufschild
Lately I have noticed that my 2002 HOnda Civic power door locks seem to lock automatically - and most times my keys are in the car (for example - was camping last weekend and wanted to keep my car unlocked for easy entry etc with my friends). half the time the door was locked - and i hadn't pressed the lock button on my keychain.

any ideas... i have been locked out of my car twice now... hmm

Last edited by eksine; 04-17-2017 at 03:58 PM.