Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

Stuck in Park. Brake light switch works. 2001 Honda Civic

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okniep is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuck in Park. Brake light switch works. 2001 Honda Civic

I just changed out my interior fusebox to replace an older replacement that was for a two door so that my four door windows would work again. As soon as I finished everythingin the car now works fine except my shifter is getting stuck in park and the trigger wont depress unless I do the manual button over ride. All of the fuses are good. My brake lights work and act normal. I don't hear a clicking when I push the brakes in which I've read some people have and some dont. I never noticed it before and I've had the car a long time. It's a 2001 civic lx automatic. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 05-07-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stuck in Park. Brake light switch works. 2001 Honda Civic

Obvious questions would be, did you get an incorrect fuse box?
Are ALL of the connections fully seated? (fusebox harness connectors E, D, R)
All of the fuses installed in the correct holes, and all are good?

Letter P lit on the dash while shifter is in park?

Found this wiring diagram in a goggle search....looks correct so far....
http://repairguide.autozone.com/znet...3f8024c277.gif

The only thing I can think of that isn't shown is TPS is an input to this system via the PCM: TPS voltage indicates throttle is not open?

Old 05-07-2017
Registered!!

Thank you for the reply. I ended up replacing it with the old one which is always a fun pain in the ****, and magically it works again, ta-da, with of course my back windows now not having a closed circuit, lol. The one I had replaced it with was pulled from a pull-a-part junkyard from another 2001 4 door civic.. I didnt check if it was an LX but it looked the exact same as mine except for the color. I'll go return this one and try again with another "new" used one and I'll let you know if that's all it is.

One thing I noticed different about the older fuse box is that it doesn't have any metal connectors for the number 16 slot and the car isnt supposed to use it but the 4 door fuse box does and I did have a backup 7.5 stuck in it. I wouldn't think that could have an affect though could it?
Old 05-07-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

For USA coupe and sedan, I see 8 different choices for 01-02, and another 8 for 03-05.
I didn't look for 3 door or anything Canadian market.

Main differences seem to be between
01-02 vs 03-05
coupe vs sedan,
DX vs LX-EX
AT vs MT

So yeah there's a lot of incorrect choices possible, but there's no list of all the specific differences.
Old 05-08-2017
Registered!!

I went back to pull-a-part and switched it with one I pulled off of an '04 Civic LX 4-door Automatic and it looks like everything's working now. Must have just been some weird little thing with the other one that had that one connection messed up.. But I can verify at least that the '04 works with the '01. Thank you again for your help.