Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

Junkyard Audio System Project

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eagle is an unknown quantity at this point
Junkyard Audio System Project

So I bought my 1996 Civic LX 1.6 for under $1000 and it previously had a sound system installed. It was probably worth more than the car, so the previous owner took it out. However, he left me with nothing at all; no head unit, no door speakers, no trunk speakers, not even the stock ones! He did however leave his CCA subwoofer wire and the other wiring from the setup so that's good. It's all run to the dash so I'm thankful for not having to tear down too much.

I found a Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X493 unit for $20 with the male wiring harness. Good deal! Before we get into that, I needed at least 1 speaker, and I had none. Searching for a quick solution to test my wiring job (I never did this before), I popped 2 speakers out of a Milwaukee work radio I had that got wet inside and didn't turn on anymore. Wired those up and my setup was good, but the speakers are god awful (obviously).

Today, I went to the junkyard and sought out a Buick Park Avenue or LeSabre for the decklid speakers. I used to have a Park Avenue, and I remember those rear speakers were some of the best I've heard in a car from that time, the mid 1990s. My next project is finding a stock pair of door speakers from a car that I could find in the junkyard. I considered a pair of BMW E38 7-series door speakers, but I was hesitant because I owned a Mercedes that had stock Blaupunkt speakers, and they were really horrible.

Anyways, pics soon. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for finding a junkyard car with a great stock set of speakers. I'm not particularly interested in a big subwoofer, just something small enough to mount under the decklid but bigger than the other two.
Old 05-12-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Junkyard Audio System Project

Your car should have.. front: 6" or 6.5" either will work. Rear is 6x9"'s

There's too many very good new speakers for a reasonable price to be had. The material used in car speakers for the past decade stands up better to sunlight, heat and humidity than old paper cones. Also, you want to match speaker impedance (ohms), sensitivity (dB) with the head unit's specs. More than likely speakers from the junkyard will produce junk sound.

Here's an example:
rear:
Amazon Amazon

front:
Amazon Amazon