Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

Parking Sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012
My favorite TV shows are JDM. My Honda isn't...

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough
Parking Sensors?

I know the obvious remedy to parking mishaps is to simply employ a bit of common sense. But the thought crossed my mind that I want to get digital parking sensors for my Civic.

Why? Well simply because I want to protect my front bumper. Soon I will be getting a painted front lip and I'd hate to scratch it up after only a few park jobs. I am a great driver and good at parking, but I don't always trust myself to stop far enough away from the curb. It'd be nice to have a sensor that gives a distance readout so the front will never contact a barrier.

What I wanna know is if anyone has had experience with parking sensors and if they're even a worthwhile investment. I only want one for the front bumper and not anywhere else on the car and I want it to be mounted underneath without drilling any ridiculously large holes into the bumper.

Can anyone recommend a good brand of parking sensor? Wireless would be great too, to save installation cost. Is it possible to even make my own sensor with readout? What all would I need to do that?

Thanks!
Old 07-23-2012
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Parking Sensors?

Ive driven two cars with aftermarket parking sensors, one just flat out didnt work and had a solid beep the whole time you are in reverse.

Amazon Amazon

This one^ was good, granted these were mounted in the back bumper. I liked this one because it gives you an actual distance reading in numbers compared to just beeps. Never driven anything with aftermarket sensors in the front bumper.

Usually they are wired to the reverse lights so they know when to turn on. You would have to wire it to a switched 12v source and put a toggle switch somewhere to turn it on/off since you want them in the front and obviously wont be in reverse when parking.

They are meant to be drilled into the bumper but there might be a way you could mount them underneath and still get accurate distance readings. That would be completely DIY though.

And the sensors would have to be mounted low near the lip to detect parking blocks, curbs etc. They might look goofy too since your car is blue and most sensors are black. If its something you think would help i say go for it.

But if it was me, i would buy a backup cam with a small black camera and mount it inside the grill pointing towards the lip, i think thats your best bet.
Old 07-23-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rjones7755
But if it was me, i would buy a backup cam with a small black camera and mount it inside the grill pointing towards the lip, i think thats your best bet.
^^^This.^^^

Factory park sensors (and the accessory kits) are quite vague, if you are trying to get within a only few inches they aren't what you need. These are for sensing within FEET, not inches.
But they are color coded to the cars they are available for.

Funny: The cars and vans with backup sensors and cameras are invariably the ones with the absolute worst bumper damage. It's like nobody learned how to pivot their heads around and freeking LOOK before backing up.
Old 07-23-2012
Kenny the Ricer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Complete waste of money.
I've used factory and aftermarket backup sensors.

Backup cameras are the worst, your judgement is obscured by focusing on the camera.
More often then not, the backup camera is a closeup of your rear bumper.
And when I mean close up, what looks to be a 2" gap between bumpers is actually a 2CM gap.
You often misjudge the actual distance.

My recommendation is learn to drive your car, whether it be with cones or w/e.
I can eyeball my car's rear and front distance up to 1~2CM.

Or another suggestion, tow hooks. They look great, and work great as bumper protection
Old 07-23-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Get you a set of these

Put em here

LOL
Old 07-24-2012
My favorite TV shows are JDM. My Honda isn't...

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ezone
LOL
I just knew someone would make that joke...

And thanks for the good input, guys! I too don't feel very confident in parking systems and I have a strong hatred for backup cameras. I was just wondering if this was a feasible or beneficial option for preventing damage. I'll just stick to what works best, pulling into parking stalls very very slowly
Old 07-24-2012
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

I think your simplest solution is to just back into spaces..yeah?