Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

Adding a second cigarette lighter to a 2004 civic hybrid.. any issues?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gareee is an unknown quantity at this point
Adding a second cigarette lighter to a 2004 civic hybrid.. any issues?

We did this with our old Tiburon, and need a second one in the 2004 cvic hybrid we just picked up.

With the Tiburon, we just wired positive directly to the battery, and used the inside hood firewall to ground.

Since I've never had a hybrid before, I figured someone here could confirm it isn't an issue.

(Its for adding a removable police light bar which uses a cigarette lighter for power.)
Old 04-02-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Adding a second cigarette lighter to a 2004 civic hybrid.. any issues?

I don't have a hybrid but I can't think of a reason it would be a problem. You can piggy back off of the cigarette lighter that is already in the car if you are really worried about it. You may have to put a bigger fuse in depending on how much current it draws.
Old 04-02-2012
Registered!!

My mechanic recommended against piggybacking because of the power draw from potentially both cig lighters.

(We often also have a power inverter hooked up to the additional one, and have the lightbar hookd up to the factory one.)

We temp decorate our car as a Ghostbusters vehicle for parades and convention events, and use the power hookups to run the light and siren/music in the roof rack.
Old 04-02-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I would say its ok to hook up straight to battery and chassis. If your still worried you can do straight to battery for both pos and neg.
Old 04-02-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

there is no problem hooking up to the traditional lead acid battery in the hybrid (NOT the IMA battery pack). just be sure to use a proper fuse within 12 inches of the battery on the + lead and size the fuse according to the wire gauge used. you can split the 12v socket so long as you do not exceed the amp draw of the wiring (i think 10 amps).
Old 04-02-2012
Registered!!

Thanks for the replies. The extra hookup I'll get has a fuse built in. I just wasn't sure if there was anything odd about hybrids that I'd have to circumvent.