Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

Amp issue

Old 05-26-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amazing is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Amp issue

hot days my amp likes to cut it and out, the subs just go on when they want, my system is in the trunk and dont know what to do, i am not going through fuses but the thing does it in hot weather, any idea what to de
running 2 10" rockford subs on a JL e1200
Old 05-26-2009
Registered!!

BJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Amp issue

Put in rubber spacers under your amp and then run computer fans to cool it off from underneath. Im guessing it is going into protection mode?
Old 05-27-2009
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

where is the gain set at? if you have it all the way up, like BJ said, it's probably going into protection mode as it's being worked too hard. you might need a new amp.
Old 05-27-2009
Registered!!

BJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of light

Good point, didnt even think about the gain being set to high. Just to inform anyone that reads this, when you tune an amp you do not want the amps gain to be all the way up. The distortion will be worse at max gain. I highly recommend setting it at 3/4 (this is my opinion/recommendation).
Old 05-28-2009
Registered!!

Amazing is an unknown quantity at this point

i am pretty sure it is at three quarters not to high
frequency at 120
Old 05-29-2009
Registered!!

whitealexander is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the tip, i lowered my gain..
Old 06-09-2009
Registered!!

bachlava7 is an unknown quantity at this point

A question, do you have a capacitor in your system? I know you said this happens usually on hot days, but a capacitor might help your subs and amp run more smoothly when the power is drained by peaks in the music (which can lead to the subs cutting in and out).
Old 06-09-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

How's your amplifier mounted? It needs proper ventilation because if it overheats it'll just shut itself off to keep from burning your car down.
Your Question: How do I stop my amplifier from turning off?
What you should be asking: How do I ensure my amplifier is kept cool?
Old 06-09-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

How's your amplifier mounted? It needs proper ventilation because if it overheats it'll just shut itself off to keep from burning your car down.
Your Question: How do I stop my amplifier from turning off?
What you should be asking: How do I ensure my amplifier is kept cool?