main fuse problem.... - Honda Civic Forum

Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-12-2008   #1
Registered!!

positivek is an unknown quantity at this point
main fuse problem....

hello everyone.

my 90 civic, keeps blowing the 60A fuse under the hood. i am lost on what to do. can anyone offer any sugestions on what could be the problem. it just started happing today, and i have gone through 3 allready.

thanks
positivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008   #2
Administrator
Administrator

electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: main fuse problem....

if a fuse is blowing, that means you've got a power wire somewhere that's touching ground. troubleshooting something like that isn't something easy to do over the internet. you'd be better off taking it to a shop that can chase the wiring.
electric130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008   #3
Registered!!

christmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of light

That's the main vehicle fuse. The alternator feeds into it as well as the batt, the first thing after it is the ELD (again with that) and after that is all the vehicle fuses. Does this happen immediately? Do you have to start the car for it to happen? Try pulling a couple of other fuses under the hood before you replace it, then test to see if it blows. You might get lucky and be able to work down to one particular fuse that causes the problem.

In general, could also be a bad alternator or ELD.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	90 civic.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	74292  
christmaspie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008   #4
Registered!!

i just replaced the altenator about 2 months ago. if i replace the fuse it runs for a little bit then dies. could it be a bad altenator?
Old 05-12-2008   #5
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

maybe if its putting out too much power.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008   #6
Registered!!

what about this ELD, is this a pricy part? also is there a way to see if the alt. is putting out too much?

i have put a new fuse in and now it wont turn over at all.......nothing. it's like the batt. is compleatly dead. does this now mean there is a short somewhere that is draining the batt.?
Old 05-13-2008   #7
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

goto an auto parts store and have them test the alternator. you can also use a multimeter and have someone measure the battery voltage when you rev the rpm to 2k. the eld is pricey and usually people just get a new fuse box from junkyard and replace the whole thing. test the battery too.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote