Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

new alternator w/ battery light. with new jl 1000 1 and w7.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute
new alternator w/ battery light. with new jl 1000 1 and w7.

alright guys as the title says i just got a new alternator (oem) and it was in perfect working condition through the few months that i have had it. i just installed a new jl 1000 1 amp accompanied with a jl w7 and now my alternator seems to not be charing the battery. could the alternator gotten fried? i checked all the wiring and the alternator fuse and all seems to be well. i used my volt meter to check if the alternator was ok and its ouput is a steady 13.4 volts. whats the problem?! help
Old 01-27-2008
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold
Re: new alternator w/ battery light. with new jl 1000 1 and w7.

actually, i had this problem too, check the alternator fuse, as simple as it sounds, its the easy fix... and solved my problem
Old 01-27-2008
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

as stated earlier the alternator fuse is OK. any other suggestions?
Old 01-28-2008
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

well, for starters, the stock alternator is only rated at 70A. so that's 840w output. your alternator runs the critical components of your car first after going through the ELD. so that probably leaves about 600-700w max (probably less) to recharge your battery. if you're drivign at night, take off another 200w for all your lighting. how many watts are your amps pulling? you see why so many people recommend upgrading your alternator even with a small system?
Old 01-28-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of

I saw someones used 160Amp alt on ebay about 6 months ago for only $100. I knew I should have bought the thing....
Old 01-28-2008
Registered!!

well the jl 1000/1 amp pushes out 1000rms to the w7 lol. but i mean regardless even though the sub does take a lot of power the battery should still be charging right? my greddy turbo timer has a volt meter built in and i ran the set up (sub/amp) for 3 days and now the battery light is on and the volt meter reads roughly 10.8 volts which means the alternator isnt charging at all. with the alternator working charging the battery the volt meter usually always reads 12.0 at the lowest.. and the alternator is pushing out a constant 13.4 volts so the alt isnt bad. and the alternator fuse is still good... the only thing i can think of is wiring. but how would the alt wiring go bad? i hate my life. lol.. i had to get dropped off to school from my dad rofl. havent had that done since high school. =|

oh and i pulled off the positive battery terminal for the alt test and the car dies out which means the alt isnt charing. but the alt pushes out 13.4 volts and the alt fuse is good. so wtf. =(

Last edited by civicsrcool; 01-28-2008 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-28-2008
Diamond Member

Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light

your amp pulls too much power. you need to get a high output alternator.
Old 01-28-2008
Registered!!

^^ thats pretty obvious. lol the whole point of this thread is to find out the problem of the charging system and eliminate it. regardless of the system the alt should still charge the battery. even with the amp off the alt isnt being charged. any suggestions?
Old 01-28-2008
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civicsrcool
the only thing i can think of is wiring. but how would the alt wiring go bad?

oh and i pulled off the positive battery terminal for the alt test and the car dies out which means the alt isnt charing. but the alt pushes out 13.4 volts and the alt fuse is good. so wtf. =(
check the fuse with an ohmeter. what does it read? don't just look at the fuse. other than that, start checking wiring.
Old 01-28-2008
Banned

greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

that was my point earlier, but he insisted on being a dick, so im done, screw him
Old 01-28-2008
Registered!!

^^ didnt know thats what you meant sorry. where is the love on this forum? .
Old 01-28-2008
The World Is Yours!

burke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond repute

welll 3 years later and 3 alts later.... i have a 13w7 with JL 1000.1 and i wish i didnt go so big...a 500.1 with a 10w7 wouldve done the trick. and now im friggin screwey with this car now... probs are coming up faster than warts! so im going to get rid of the system..maybe?! and just listen to my ear peirching highs i had to have to get lyrics out of. but aanother alternator is a deff! not a 70A...160A FTW!
Old 01-29-2008
Registered!!

=/ well i checked the alt fuse for continuity and it checks okay for continuity. dont know what else to do.
Old 04-23-2008
Registered!!

mcdon is an unknown quantity at this point

man.... get a capacitor !!!!

i cant believe no one has said anything

you will probably have to now replace alternator and maybe battery

then remember 1 fared for every 500w RMS

So for my 1000/1 I use a 2 fared cap.... I've NEVER had any problem since buying it years ago
Old 06-15-2008
Registered!!

carter is an unknown quantity at this point

If you dont get a HI Ouput alternator no point of having such a big system you'll get about 60-70% of what your systems capable of.. on the regs. Only because its very high end equipment and its not cheap shi.

You gota get a Yellow Top and atleast a 120A alternator with the Big 3 Upgrade. Your wiring is your first thing you should change not check. They are cheaper and you can see if they help make a difference with the bigger grounds etc.