Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

polk db 6500

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007
You gotta be as blind as Anne Frank not to see that

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ddevil0013 is on a distinguished road
polk db 6500

I just got the Polk 6500 component system (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-dDiy0We...107DB6500#Tab).
What amp would you guys recommend to power the speakers?
Old 07-11-2007

Re: polk db 6500

Ok I got the speakers installed but now I'm getting alot of static from the tweeters. I checked my wires and my ground and it all seems ok. Whats causing all this static??
Old 07-11-2007
Registered!!

christmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of light

Are they amped? If so, where's the gain set? How are the RCAs routed? What size power wire?
Using an aftermarket deck or factory stereo?
Both tweeters have the static? How bad is it? Unbearable, or annoying? How about the mid, how does it sound?
Make SURE none of the wires going to the crossover, tweeter or amp are touching any metal in the car or accidentally have a screw going through them.

Basically just need some more info.
Old 07-12-2007

Thanks for your reply first of all. The gain is at 0. The sound just gets louder as I increase the gain but it doesnt go away when I turn it down. The RCAs are routed with the power wire (I'm working on routing it to the other side to see if it helps). Aftermarket pioneer deck. Basically the sound is more of a whining that increases when I rev the car up or turn the lights on or anything. The mids are clear however. I tried unplugging the RCAs and the static disappeared..but so did my music.

Originally Posted by christmaspie
Are they amped? If so, where's the gain set?How are the RCAs routed? What size power wire?
Using an aftermarket deck or factory stereo?
Both tweeters have the static? How bad is it? Unbearable, or annoying? How about the mid, how does it sound?
Make SURE none of the wires going to the crossover, tweeter or amp are touching any metal in the car or accidentally have a screw going through them.

Basically just need some more info.
Old 07-12-2007
Registered!!

christmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of light

Oh yeah, RCAs routed with power is your problem. Get that fixed and report back. Run each down separate sides of the car, only cross them at 90 degree angles.
Old 07-12-2007

Ok. I routed the RCAs down the drivers side and the power is on the passanger side. I'm still getting that whine. I shut off the tweeters and it seems its coming from the speakers too. Its not that noticable when the car is off but as soon as I turn it on and rev it up it whines with the rpm.

Oh yeah, RCAs routed with power is your problem. Get that fixed and report back. Run each down separate sides of the car, only cross them at 90 degree angles.
Old 07-12-2007
Registered!!

Hmmm, when you say the gain is set at zero is that all the way down or all the way up?
If you can turn it down some let's try that next.
Old 07-12-2007

Hmmm, when you say the gain is set at zero is that all the way down or all the way up?
If you can turn it down some let's try that next.
The gain is turned all the way down. But I think I figured it out. I took some remote wire and grounded it behind the head unit and connected it to the outer RCA contact. It seems to have drastically reduced the static/whine. Hopefully that took care of it.
Old 07-12-2007

****! Its still there. Its just fainter. Very audible tho especially when driving at higher rpms. whats the deal
Old 07-12-2007
Registered!!

If you're talking about an extra wire that's attached to the RCAs you can ground that at the head unit on one side and at the amp on the other. Not all amps are really designed for this though.

How solid is your amp ground? That seems to be the next place to look. Make sure to scrape off all paint and use a good screw, make it real tight.
Old 07-12-2007

If you're talking about an extra wire that's attached to the RCAs you can ground that at the head unit on one side and at the amp on the other. Not all amps are really designed for this though.

How solid is your amp ground? That seems to be the next place to look. Make sure to scrape off all paint and use a good screw, make it real tight.
FINALLY FIXED! Im so relieved. I still dont really know what it was but I just used about an inch of remote wire and touched it to the RCA wire in the back of the head unit. For some reason this worked! I didnt even ground it anywhere. OH well. I'm happy.

And thank you christmaspie for being the only one to help me out. Props.
Old 07-14-2007
Registered!!

jay47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, I had this problem for such a long time, so I had to change amps. It turned out it was the amp itself, but before I changed amps ALWAYS DO THE FOLLOWING!
CHECK ALL GROUNDS!! This is possibly the biggest cause of noise in a sound system. Check the amp, check the headunit (if possible, ground the CD player back to the amp ground, make sure it is against smooth freshly ground metal if possible.)
DO NOT run the power wires along with RCA's at all. Keep them as far away as possible. Power wires create a small magnetic field around them that can fluctuate and cause noise induction in speaker wires. I would say a minimum of 1 foot between power and RCA or speaker wires but the further the better.
If noise still persists, then make sure all wires are ran correctly to the speakers amp etc... it could be possible that a reversed wire is causing noise.
CHECK THE AMP FOR A SWITCH that may change how many inputs it is supposed to be recieving. For example, you can run my Kicker ZX 200.4 with two pairs of RCAs or one, I had a whine until I ACTUALLY READ THE MANUAL and discovered that I needed to switch the button= noise disappeared immediately.
If there is still whine, then try grounding the battery to other places in the engine compartment. This is supposed to eliminate some noise but I'm not sure how it works exactly.
Still noise? Buy a ground loop eliminator and run it in line with the amp/cd player RCAs to try to eliminate noise. This could very well eliminate noise that is unavoidable in some cases.
Still noise? Well by this point you have to suspect some sort of electrical or mechanical defect in the amp/CD player/speakers, with the most likely source of failure being the amp, then cd player then speakers. Try using a friend's amp, which could deductively allow you to find if the source was your amp. As far as CD player, I don't know how to easily test that one but you could try hooking everything up with something cheap from Walmart and then taking it back if whine still persisted. Last of all, if the tweeters themselves are malfunctioning, then find someone else and hook them up.
Ok, I think that just about sums it up...I had a terrible whine for so long and I did all of the above until I just had to get a new amp. But I hope that I may have helped you out or anyone else who stumbles upon this post. Thanks, Jay
Old 08-09-2007
Registered!!

Physpher is an unknown quantity at this point

i had a pioneer that did that... it was the internal preouts on it. then i upgraded to the 9800bt and its crystal clear.
same speakers
eclipse ea4000
0 gauge power and ground