General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

So is it bad to get the first oil change @ 6500 miles?

Old 10-17-2002
ak
Retired Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ak can only hope to improve
So is it bad to get the first oil change @ 6500 miles?

A friend of mine (2k2 accord v6) has 6500 miles on his accord...i kept telling him to take it for the free first oil change, but he kept lagging.

So we finally take it and get one.

What's the bad side about waiting 6500 miles for the 1st oil change? Reduced Engine Life? Cylinder Damage?

-ak

edited: He floored it SEVERAL (30+) times in the period.
Old 10-17-2002
Registered!!

mwwhonda is an unknown quantity at this point
your friend...........is an idiot!
Old 10-17-2002
ak
Retired Mod

[hr]Originally posted by: mwwhonda
your friend...........is an idiot! [hr]
Extremely Lazy.....that's all.
Old 10-17-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Well, Honda says that they use some sort of special oil from the factory that is supposed to help break the engine in. I noticed that their oil came out much darker than when I change the oil I use. I don't quite know what this means, but if I were to guess I would say that the OEM oil breaks down quicker than conventional oil. I bet his cylinder walls are now slightly more worn. Don't know how much, but maybe enough that it would take him three times as long to get them that worn if he would have changed his oil at the reccomended intervals. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 10-18-2002
ak
Retired Mod

Well he learned now...every 3000 miles for sure

thanks for the answer grey,
alex
Old 10-18-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda told me to wait unit 6-7500k for the first oil change when I bought my 00 accord v6, and when I bought the civic. I don't think he did any harm. The oil companies got everyone brain washed in to thinking that oil needs to be changed every 5 minutes. I wish I could have been the guy that came up with the 3k interval.....you know hes one rich ****...

Heck, high-end cars in the family that have computers monitoring the oil never pop up and say the oil needs to be changed before 5k. It's usually around 6-8k.
Old 10-18-2002
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
My dealer says I can change the Civic oil as far as 10000 miles and not have trouble. Now, I wouldn't ever think of going that long, but 5-6K couldn't cause any trouble. I changed it last time after 4300 and the oil was a little dirty but still good. Now that there's synthetic in there, I'll probably just change it every 5k.
Old 10-18-2002
Registered!!

007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Me myself, I change my oil every 2500 miles regardless of what any dealership says, They told me to change it the first time at 7500 miles, I waited until 5000, after that every 2500. Better safe than sorry
Old 10-18-2002
Registered!!

solar is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Grey
Well, Honda says that they use some sort of special oil from the factory that is supposed to help break the engine in. I noticed that their oil came out much darker than when I change the oil I use. I don't quite know what this means, but if I were to guess I would say that the OEM oil breaks down quicker than conventional oil. I bet his cylinder walls are now slightly more worn. Don't know how much, but maybe enough that it would take him three times as long to get them that worn if he would have changed his oil at the reccomended intervals. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][hr]
Someone posted somewhere a few months ago a article from Car and Driver that asked about Honda break-in oil. According to Honda its just regular 5w-20 oil and you can change it early if you want without any problems or just wait until the required interval.

EDIT: When I had my free oil change at the dealer I knew the Tech and he let me in the shop, the oil that Honda uses is 5w-20 Honda oil but it is somewhat darker than most oils for some reason, I guess its just the way its refined.
Old 10-18-2002
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
technically under "normal" driving, the oil in the new civic doesn't have to be changed till 10k, at least that is what the manual says. I get mine changed every 4-5k which is very sufficient seeing that every 3k is too much and the oil is still clear. I don't think that 6500 is that bad for a new Accord. it should be fine.
Old 10-18-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: solar
[hr]Originally posted by: Grey
Well, Honda says that they use some sort of special oil from the factory that is supposed to help break the engine in. I noticed that their oil came out much darker than when I change the oil I use. I don't quite know what this means, but if I were to guess I would say that the OEM oil breaks down quicker than conventional oil. I bet his cylinder walls are now slightly more worn. Don't know how much, but maybe enough that it would take him three times as long to get them that worn if he would have changed his oil at the reccomended intervals. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][hr]
Someone posted somewhere a few months ago a article from Car and Driver that asked about Honda break-in oil. According to Honda its just regular 5w-20 oil and you can change it early if you want without any problems or just wait until the required interval.

EDIT: When I had my free oil change at the dealer I knew the Tech and he let me in the shop, the oil that Honda uses is 5w-20 Honda oil but it is somewhat darker than most oils for some reason, I guess its just the way its refined.[hr]
I use the honda oil. The service writer told me that honda's oil is supplied by mobil one. He didn't say whether they use more than 1 supplier though. I might try syn next time and start getting it changed at 5k. Either way, it's certainly not going to hurt anything by changing the oil a lot. Well...your wallet...

Old 10-18-2002
Registered!!

I change mine every 3000 miles, I just do it because I want to, I have a 1990 Ford Van with 220,000 miles and a 91 Mustang GT with 140,000 miles, both had the oil changed @3000 miles. Like Mbow said its only going to hurt you wallet but if you do it yourself its less than $12 per change. I'll spend more than that on the first round tonight after work.
Old 10-18-2002
Registered!!

Well, I had a 93 accord that had the oil changed at somewhat regular intervals. Sometimes it was 3k, sometimes 5k, sometimes 7k. I owned the car for 5 yrs and she had 150k on her when she left me. The engine still ran strong and was never told that it was burning any oil or anything of that nature. I used penzoil (jiffy lube) and had them run oil system cleaner through the car at every change.

At 130k or so, I mistakenly took the cel for the oil light. The honda people accused me of not changing the oil and such. I got a call a few hours later with an apology. Apparantly, the tech who took the head off was quite impressed with how clean my engine was. He said it was the cleanest one he had ever seen with that many miles.

Did it have anything to do with the oil system cleaner, I am sure it contributed. And get this, I never ran anything but the supposedly worst stuff on the planet - penzoil.....

Oh, and I change the vic's oil at 3k. One reason is because I keep all the service records and potential buyers will appreciate the 3k change. 2nd reason, I have been brain washed too and just can't feel good about myself unless I do it at 3k. Funny thing is, the service writers kinda get mad when I come in at 3k and they always add 5k to the mileage in for my reminder sticker. They actually get kinda rude sometime saying that I am wasting my money and so on....I am thinking, you don't want my money? I am a maintenance man...I love it
Old 10-18-2002
Registered!!

Sounds like you were raised just like me, I also keep good maintance records for when i sell the car. When I sold my old RX-7 the buyer was impressesd with how I took care of the car, he tried to make me come down on the price, but I kept showing him how well i took care of the car and would just keep it unless I got what I was asking. He came back the next day with a check for the full asking price. My friends call me ****, but I think they're just jelous on how well my cars look and run.
Old 10-18-2002
ak
Retired Mod

I like that attitude