Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

For the hell of it **PICS**

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stepchild is an unknown quantity at this point
For the hell of it **PICS**

I just thought I would post pics of the shtuff in the Vic. I did this ALL MYSELF. I know It's plain but It's solid And I like to show off the Sub control placement. BRILIANT!!

Old 04-17-2007
Registered!!

boosted.es2 is a jewel in the roughboosted.es2 is a jewel in the roughboosted.es2 is a jewel in the rough
Re: For the hell of it **PICS**

damn looks hardcore.... whats your set up?
Old 04-17-2007
Registered!!

darklegacy540 is on a distinguished road

Hmm, looks simple and clean.. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Perhaps you should think about making a false floor so your amps and x-overs are flush.
Old 04-17-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

^ yeah. Looks better then my stereo stuff kuz I dont have any, but I couldnt go without the loss of my trunk. Maybe mount them on the side, or head to the store and pick up a few buckets of resin and fiber glass and go all out if you dont mind loosing your trunk
Old 04-17-2007
Registered!!

Thanks guys. It really is a basic set-up. The only thing that I think is "hardcore" about it is that I have 2 RCA Line Amps (Pheonix Gold). My front stage line amp is an OLD piece I have had for A LONG TIME!!! It's called A TBA - "The Balancing Act". It's a 2 piece set - A transmiter and receiver. The Transmiter inputs RCA's from head unit and outputs up to 8 Volts (I think) on a 6 pin DIN cable. The white box you see at the end of amp rack is the receiver which outputs back to RCA's. My sub signal is on another (1 piece) Line amp that is mounted under the dash.

As far as building a false floor I have had ideas about encasing the amps and processors with an acrylic top with fans at each end but I don't have much time these days.....
Old 04-17-2007
Registered!!

...and I also designed it to where I can still get to the spare,jack, 12v air pump, jumper cables ect.
Old 04-17-2007
Registered!!

I will try to get some more detailed pics tonight....
Old 04-17-2007
Registered!!

christmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by stepchild
It's called A TBA - "The Balancing Act". It's a 2 piece set - A transmiter and receiver. The Transmiter inputs RCA's from head unit and outputs up to 8 Volts (I think) on a 6 pin DIN cable. The white box you see at the end of amp rack is the receiver which outputs back to RCA's.
Wait a minute, are you saying this piece converts unbalanced RCA to something balanced?? Because if it does you have greatly interested me sir!
Old 04-17-2007
I need a drop
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

thefever is a jewel in the roughthefever is a jewel in the roughthefever is a jewel in the rough

^x2.
Old 04-17-2007
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

real clean and nice!
Old 04-17-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

very nice install!!!

x2 on the trunk usage though. kind of inconvenient if you have a ton of stuff that needs to go in the trunk. i mounted my amp to the side of the sub.
Old 04-17-2007
Registered!!

As far as I know it does. I could be wrong....This is the owners manual I got from www.phoenixgold.com ftp://208.187.38.55/Phoenix_Gold/Man...structions.pdf
And it is a balanced line amp. Mine is so old that they don't have an owner's manual for mine. LOL the only difference between the one I have and the one on the link is the cable they use to transmit the signal. Thanks again for everyone's coments on my stuff...

Here's a better pic of the receiver

...and the Old School Cable

Last edited by stepchild; 04-17-2007 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Picture Edit
Old 04-17-2007
Registered!!

I also used to own an EQ 215X. I was young I sold it - young and dumb. Like I said this is some old stuff but man still to this day it is bad ***!! Well at least I think it is,but I'm old. LOL. Heres the owner's manual
ftp://208.187.38.55/Phoenix_Gold/Man...5_215x_230.pdf
Old 04-18-2007
Registered!!

christmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of light

Are you using the ground lift at all?? Did it help or is it not needed due to clean signal anyway?
Old 04-18-2007
Registered!!

It does not make a difference in sound. And by the way my doors look like the doors in your avitar ,minus the HUGE Mid-bass at the rear of the door. What is that a 6.5", 8" or a 10" ?
Old 04-18-2007
Registered!!

MB Quart 8"
I love it!
Old 04-18-2007
Registered!!

Do you have pics of your doors after the install?
Old 04-18-2007
Registered!!

There's a couple on page 2 of my sounddomain page. I do have others if there is something more specific you were wondering about.
Old 04-18-2007
Administrator
Administrator

electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmaspie
There's a couple on page 2 of my sounddomain page. I do have others if there is something more specific you were wondering about.
pics of the door panel on after the install. all the pics there show the panel off.
Old 04-18-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by electric130
pics of the door panel on after the install. all the pics there show the panel off.
None specifically, it looks just like every other door panel out there. No bulging or anything like that. I did have to add one or two location-specific screws on the bottom side of each but that's the only thing different from a stock door panel.

Those pics wouldn't be nearly as interesting as the ones with the door off in my opinion, lol.

Last edited by christmaspie; 04-18-2007 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-18-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by christmaspie
None specifically, it looks just like every other door panel out there. No bulging or anything like that. I did have to add one or two location-specific screws on the bottom side of each but that's the only thing different from a stock door panel.

Those pics wouldn't be nearly as interesting as the ones with the door off in my opinion, lol.
hmmm. i would have assumed you'd put a grille in the door for them. that's what i was looking for.
Old 04-18-2007
Registered!!

Yeah that's kind of a sore spot with me right now. I want to but I'm also not exactly sure where I'm at with this system. Although I like where it is now I also want to upgrade those speaks to something better. The stuff is all entry level MB, not even all that great. I also have some ideas in my head about alternate 8" (or 7") mounting that might burn me in the end if I do the grill. I get more than I was expecting out of them as it is, that far back in the door isn't a great place for them though. In the end I'll probably just break down and do a grill on these panels since I'll replace them if I end up going all out like I want. Too much other **** on the to do list with this car right now though. You know what I mean?
Old 04-23-2007
Registered!!

Well if you don't have a grille in the door panel for them, how well can you really hear them? Well, I'm sure you can HEAR it, but how well does it sound? I guess that's what I was asking..
Anyway, I think every installer and mechanic knows how you feel about having too much stuff you want to do with their own car. haha
Old 04-23-2007
Registered!!

Well I will gladly give you an explanation but it may be somewhat long winded so forgive me in advance. When I decided to attempt to install a mid bass driver into my vehicle it was something I had never done before. In that sense it was originally more experiment than installation. That being the case I was much more interested in a 'forward moving' improvement of sound quality than complete fit & finish. What I mean to say is everything I do in my system is part of a long-existing and over arching plan toward a final goal. The goal has changed quite a bit but every improvement, change, etc is towards what I want that final sound to be. This 8” install was all about getting better sound than where I was at, not being sq competition quality in appearance.

So again when I did this install my biggest concern was getting it to fit properly in the door and clearing the panel. This took a great deal of effort in itself and I'm proud to say I was able to do it. I didn't do a grille at the time because I had no idea how it would sound and whether I would want to move the drivers at a later point. As I broached upon in an earlier post that location in the door so far back does not lend itself the best to sound quality. What I really want to do is get a 7 or 8" neodym midbass in the location where the mid is and move the mid and tweet to kicks. So if I am going to go that route the aesthetic benefit of the grille becomes totally worthless.

As far as the sonic benefits of the grill I again point out that every change I make is toward better sound. I just don't think the acoustic benefit would be all that great for the effort. These are low end Quarts and in fact I finally got them amplified only very recently with one of sony's new, small mono amps. Before that they were running off one channel each of a 30x4 four channel.
We're talking about (relatively) longer wavelengths when we discuss this mid band region. These things aren't immediately stopped cold by a barrier the way a high frequency (say 8k or whatever) would be. And while I'm on the topic of improving sound I would get a much larger benefit out of DTA or something like that before I ever could with this. For what its worth they sound (and feel) real good and I couldn’t be happier for what it is. Again, I’m so happy I want to take it further which hopefully means a mid bass driver in front of me.

So it is on the list as something that needs to be done in regards to the system but there are other far more important things that need to be done first. In the end I likely wouldn't have any use for the grill anyway and I don't like to do work that doesn't get me somewhere so that is why there is currently no grill. Lastly, when I started my current job some of the guys I hadn’t known before made similar comments and inquiries about the no grill but pulled back after actually sitting in the car and listening. Sorry it was so long but this **** is my life.

Oh and sorry for the hardcore hijack.
Old 04-23-2007
Registered!!

AequitasVeritas is an unknown quantity at this point

chris....you are such a homo....

you need more dynamat though lol
Old 04-23-2007
Registered!!

Yeah, you wish pal!
Old 04-23-2007
Registered!!

Wow, that was quite a post. haha Slowly getting to IASCA standards, right? lol
Old 04-23-2007
Registered!!

Someday my friend, someday.