Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

Adding in Map Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rice4lyfe will become famous soon enough
Adding in Map Lights?

Hey, just wondering if I were to buy a Map light from the EX's, would it fit into the area of my DX? Or are there kits I can buy to add Map lights?

Ideas are welcome.

Thanks
Old 03-05-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
You would have to buy the pieces from an LX beacuse I believe the map lights on the EX are intergrated into the sunroof assemby or something (I dont know, I dont have a ex). There is only one positive wire running up there to power them, pretty simple. The screw is used as the ground- which screws into a bracket thats welded on the roof. I'm sure there are ways you could do it, it woul dbe pretty simpled because the weight of the map lights is not a lot... grams at that. But the toughest part in my eyes would be mounting them to the roof (you probably could get a hold of someone that welds.. or take it to a muffler shop and have them spot weld a custom bracket that you made on there). You'd need some pics of what the EX assembly looks like for the map lights. I could take some for you, but I dont have my tools down there to take off my headliner. I'm sure you can find some, and if you cant, I'll be back home in a few weeks (last week of march is my spring break) and could snap them for you. Happy to help.
Old 03-05-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
urwhat is just really niceurwhat is just really niceurwhat is just really niceurwhat is just really niceurwhat is just really nice
orrrrrrr... for another option. use leds with an external switch somewhere else.

i find factory map lights are way too bright. and useless in the dark for reading your mapquest directions or whatnot. i use 3 white LEDS mounted up top (mine is mounted on the cover for the mirror.. but i drive an rsx) so if you have something similar to mount it to up there, mount it there. then run wires down to a switch/fuse/relay(if you want, but its relatively low power consumption so switch+fuse should be fine)
Old 03-06-2007
Registered!!

hmm, well i wanted a stock look, but the LED idea sounds easy enough and is do-able. As for mounting the unit, i wonder if there is a bracket already installed on the body? Since its a unibody design, which is the same for all 7th gens (each sedan and coupe), i would assume that the mounts would still be there. I would just need to cut out wherever the headliner would be. If anyone is redoing their headliner with a DX or just someone with map lights (sedan preferably), please unscrew the unit and just snap a pic for me please! Thanks in advance.
Old 03-06-2007
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
I think the determining factor would be the design of the DXs headliner, Is the area where the map lights would go the same as LX or different ??

The map light assembly appears to be simply pressed into the headliners cutout opening.

The wiring may or may not be present as well.
Old 03-07-2007
Registered!!

well the wiring i can bypass with either adding more and splicing or just splicing off the dome light. I was thinking that it was pressed into the headliner but its also screwed in, so if the bracket is also underneith, it would be even better.

anyone mind snaping a few pics? thx
Old 03-07-2007
Registered!!

urwhat is just really niceurwhat is just really niceurwhat is just really niceurwhat is just really niceurwhat is just really nice
well you cant even notice my LED's unless you really look for them. lets see if i have a picture...

found one... again this is in my rsx, not to get confused with anything else.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	maplight.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	69990   Click image for larger version

Name:	inside.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	69991  
Old 03-07-2007
Registered!!

that looks kinda dim... does it manage to light up bright enough? I wouldnt mind it being bright, since thats why i need the light for.

Did you just pop off the cover and glue the LED's on?
Old 03-12-2007
Registered!!

the pictures dont do it justice since obviously theres brighter lights in the pictures.

the lights are bright enough to see mapquest directions anywhere in the center console area. If you want more light, simply add more LED's

i removed the cover, drilled holes, and used little LED holders that hold the led in place. no glue. best part is, you dont notice it unless you are really looking for it.
Old 03-14-2007
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
I dunno, if you wanted to go with that idea, I think you could get a led that focuses the light tightly and sink them in the cover a little better. Anyways. There is a bracket thats welded the the headliner. You should take a pic of your DX headliner- the area where the map lights would go, with the rear view mirror as a refereance point. I could tell you whats up then. You mgiht wanna go ahead and buy the LX headliner, i think it might be 50 bucks from majestic- or in that ballpark. It would probably make your life easier. the map lights themselves are about 1.5-2 inches thick, and thats not counting the bracket that they screw into. As for the wiring, its just a postivie 12v wire that comes up the drivers pillar. There is no ground wire that comes up, because the screw that holds the map light assembly to the metal bracket doubles as the ground. If you take off your headliner and peek under neath- you might have the bracket on there allready- I wouldnt be too suprised.
Old 03-15-2007
Registered!!

ya, im pretty sure there is, as i said before, i dont think honda would make seperate body's just because of map lights. If anything, i could just take a template from another honda civic with map lights and cut from there.

I might attempt this in the summer time, when it gets a bit warmer. I just need a conformation that there is a bracket already there.

Anyone with a DX take off their headliner?
Old 03-16-2007
Registered!!

are you sure its a bracket though? map lights in my rsx is just attached directly to the roof of the car. theres just a threaded hole where you screw in the lights.
Old 03-17-2007
Premium Member

Its a bracket thats welded to the roof.

If you dont have a bracket, you might be able to pick one up from honda, instead of welding it on, epoxy paste to the rescue.