Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

Rear wheel seized up

Old 12-31-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naderson is an unknown quantity at this point
Rear wheel seized up

My rear tire has been locking up periodically and having some trouble rotating. I thought it may be ice build up so I removed the tire and when I spin the brake drum it has a periodic grinding notice. IT IS NOT A CONTINUOUS GRIND. I don't know if that helps at all. I have zero experience with car repair. Does it sound like new shoes could fix this problem and how difficult would it be to do this myself? Thanks, guys.
Old 12-31-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Rear wheel seized up

Remove the rear drum. Sounds like your rear brake may have seized up. The brake cylinder may be causing the issue. Also inspect the drum, sometimes it will rust and pieces will call off and get caught in the brake assembly somewhere.

Not hard to do, there are videos online to demonstrate the process. Hardest part will be removing the drum, they can be stubborn sometimes.
Old 12-31-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rear wheel seized up

It's either seized brakes or your rear wheel bearings are so shot they are seizing?