Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

Can struts get damaged from tire exchange + alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
forevermemorabl is an unknown quantity at this point
Can struts get damaged from tire exchange + alignment?

I took my 1996 Honda Odyssey into American Tire Depot for "4" brand new tires and a complete alignment done on the entire car. As soon as I left and went over a speed bump, my car bottom out really bad. It was a crunch, crunch noise, as if my wheels were hitting the wheel well. It sounded really bad. I have own the car for 3 years and it has never done that once...never, never, never. I took the car back the next day, explained the situation and an employee went along with me for a ride in my vehicle. I went over a speed bump gradually and the noise and crunch was very evident. Then, I went over a second speed bump slower...very slow, and the same crunch noise. As the van goes over the speed bump it raises some and than comes crashing down. It sounds really bad and does not look good.

Of course, the employee had the same assessment as anyone with a great brain would have...struts are bad. But I tell you, that I never had the problem before I took my car in and now it exists. Manager denies any wrong doing or intentional doing. I told him that I didn't believe in intentional harm to my car, but accidents do happen.

Manager wants to put two new struts and strut mounts on the front of my car for $475 (all parts and labor). I say forget that, because I don't trust this place any more.

Is it possible for struts to be destroyed in tire replacement via change, car lift, car alignment?
Old 08-15-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,201 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Can struts get damaged from tire exchange + alignment?

not familiar with odysseys, but if they used mallets for frozen bolts, who knows?
Old 08-15-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

An 18 year old "Overweight Accord"......

The shop probably didn't do anything to damage your struts on purpose. Slam 4 tires on and check toe, shoot it out the door. NEXT! Why do you think they would they go and screw it up on purpose? Is business THAT slow?

The van is 18 years old. Probably still sittin on the original struts, maybe 200,000+ miles on it? Maybe it's just time for new ones.

FYI, MANY cars make odd noises after they have had the wheels hanging in the air. Sometimes it's simply the springs settling back into place.
Old 08-15-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
forevermemorabl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
The van is 18 years old. Probably still sitting on the original struts, maybe 200,000+ miles on it? Maybe it's just time for new ones.
I purchased the vehicle from the last owner, three years ago. The car has 150,000 miles on it. I put 30,000 miles on it. I am not accusing this place of sabotage. I just know for utter certainty that the problem did not exist before I took my vehicle in and now it exists and it is really really bad. I have not hit a curb or hit a speed bump or dip hard. I have driven the car the past two days very minimal and normal. The car's issues started as soon as I left the tire place and has continued.

It just stands to reason that the problem accidentally occurred in the install of 4 tires and or the alignment. Some how and in some way, something happened to my vehicle while the job was done.
Old 08-15-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

See if it broke a coil spring. (Still would not be their fault.)

The only thing strut related that I have ever heard of happening after having a car in the air is a strut or shock jamming in the fully extended position (due to an internal mechanical fault).
I have not witnessed this myself, only read about it.